Let's talk about what knobs actually fit...

PumpinIron

So on my recent Velocity build (which is using the CTS 250k long shaft pots that Warmoth sells), I ordered the amber barrel knobs (http://www.warmoth.com/Barrel-Knob-Amber-P361.aspx).

Problem is, they don't fit worth a damn. So, you do what they tell you and squeeze the ends of the shaft together a bit. That let's the knob go on okay, but the issue then is that it only let's the top of the knob go on. Once you get to that mid-point, you have to push really, really damn hard.

Then if you want to get them off at that point, good luck. They're pretty much stuck on there!

So then this got me thinking... There has to be a barrel knob like this that actually fits without having to pinch the ends of the shafts together, is there not?

Sure, I could get the Telecaster style knobs with the allen set screw, but that's not the style I am going for.

I simply want a barrel knob that fits nicely, as if it was meant for the shaft to begin with.

Does such a thing exist?

Maybe. Might be easier to buy a different pot, though. Knob resellers quite often don't tell you what the spline count is internally, so you're buying blind unless you make some assumptions. There's a pretty good rundown of the various pot/shaft/knob differences here, if you wanna read and bookmark it for future reference. I think I'm gonna put it in the "Tips and Tricks" section here, as this gets asked all the time.

I'll check that out!

My issue is that it's almost impossible to find 250k long shaft pots. I can find 250k short shaft pots all the time, but the long ones (for rear routed bodies) I can only find from Warmoth and maybe a few select others.

I'm not sure which knobs fit those particular pots. Apparently the barrel knobs don't fit well at all.

Damn... That article is just what I needed.

Now you would think that Warmoth would list spline counts for knobs (and pots) on their website. Seems silly (and almost an oversight) that they don't!

The pots Warmoth sells are from CTS, which means they have "fine" (24) splines rather than "coarse" (18) splines, like Aplha pots do.

Set screw knobs like the knurled barrel domed or flat top Tele knobs will fit on splined shafts, and work well. I use them almost exclusively. Trick to them is you need to align the set screw up with the split in the shaft so the screw has someplace to bite into and won't crush the split ends together, either breaking it or making the knob sit cockeyed.

Atlantic Custom Guitars carries Gibson speed knobs that fit 24 spline CTS pots. I just got some top hat knobs from them and the fit my pots perfectly.
First time I ordered from them and the service was fast and friendly.

Yes, on my Tele build I have the flat top Tele knobs on the splined CTS pots. I aligned the set screw with the split in the shaft, and they fit (and work) great.

I'll check out Atlantic Custom Guitars. Now that I know the Warmoth CTS pots are 24 spline, I'll just find some 24 spline amber barrel knobs. I thought about Tele flat top style knobs, but on this build, I think those amber knobs will give a classic look to it (so to speak).

cbsh__43907.1470691815.1280.1280.jpg

For converting split shafts to solid shafts.  Personally, I always use solid shafts and knobs with a set screw.

250k CTS long split shafts here:  http://guitarelectronics.com/cts-250k-audio-taper-pro-guitar-pot-w-long-brass-shaft/  These guys have a wide selection of pots.

Bourns makes a series of pots designed for guitars (two, technically) that come in all kinds of shapes and sizes.  PDB-XXX-GTR, then a bunch of other numbers and letters that specify shaft length, shaft type, and contact type.  I have some on my amp build, they're very smooth.

http://www.bourns.com/products/proaudio/products

They're not CTS, but I don't think I've ever had any problem with Bourns pots.  At the very least, they fully spec those pots in the datasheet (including spline type).

ghotiphry said:
cbsh__43907.1470691815.1280.1280.jpg

For converting split shafts to solid shafts.  Personally, I always use solid shafts and knobs with a set screw.

250k CTS long split shafts here:  http://guitarelectronics.com/cts-250k-audio-taper-pro-guitar-pot-w-long-brass-shaft/  These guys have a wide selection of pots.
Those little rings work well, in fact Q-Parts supplies them with every knob, (Guess you gotta get something for you $12!) Another thing I've done is use a small piece of aluminum as a spacer between the split pieces of a splined shaft. I did this the first time to repair the shaft of a pot I had broken while bending. Provides a nice solid surface for the set screw to bite into.

EDIT: I was just looking at an old thread resurrected by Punxsutawney, and saw that I posted that I used a piece on maple as a shim to repair a broken split shaft. So, I just took a look at the guitar, and sure enough, it's a piece of maple n there. Guess my mind's starting to go......

Back