Korinakaster......sorted!

willyk

This has definitely turned into one of those "wish it was a lefty" guitars. I have a Black Korina project in the pipeline for myself and I actually bought this body from the showcase to try out the grainfill/tung oil finish. My hybrid (avatar) guitar was done with Danish oil and no filler and I wanted a comparison. I also wanted to check out a boat back neck so I bought a maple/rosewood VM,another first. It's the same story with the pickups. I have always seemed to end up with Seymour Duncans so this time I settled on Rio Grandes after consulting with the board --- Thanks to everyone for their help  :icon_thumright: Now it's all done I have to find a home for it dammit......wish it was a lefty :sad1:

Attachments

• 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 16.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 516
looks awasome mate love the flame... what does it say on the headstock?? and if u want a lefty, why not hendrix that one? guess its not the same, but then u wouldnt have to to get rid of it..!

:hello2:

That is beautiful man! A job well done. I'm sure your very pleased with the results. Too bad you don't get to keep it.

Congrats! -TT-

Thanks TT that means a lot coming from you mate. Your korina/ziricote creation is a gobsmacka :eek: so now I'm even more pleased with the results.  cheers  Willy

The Rio's are bloody terrific. I haven't had a chance to hear this guitar played 'properly' yet, my upside down test flight is as far as it has gone so far. But I can tell that it's tone to the bone with this combination. Opinions differ on what gives a guitar its tone so comparing and isolating the pickups contribution is always difficult. I wanted to build a ballsy bluesy strat and I think I have achieved that so I'm happy with everything. I went with the Dual calibrated set Solo. A Muy Grande bridge, wired to the 2nd tone knob; a reverse wired Half Breed in the middle and a Tallboy in the neck which share the 1st tone control. I wired it this way because I was a bit concerned the Muy Grande might need a little taming. Actually I like it unfettered as well as rolled back a bit but I would definitely recommend the modification because it certainly brings more voices to the strat in the in between spot as well.

hey Wiily

from the pictures it looks like the body wood has that same iradescence you see with nitro or poly finishes. Like a 3d effect looking at the wood through glass. is that just a trick of the photo or real?

Brian

bpmorton777 said:
hey Wiily

from the pictures it looks like the body wood has that same iradescence you see with nitro or poly finishes. Like a 3d effect looking at the wood through glass. is that just a trick of the photo or real?

Brian

There's no trick to the photos, just room lighting and flash. This korina body has a lot of flame and it comes alive under the tung oil. I was surprised it came out as glossy as it did. I will take some shots outside in daylight when the weather clears up..cheers  Willy

Good morning from not so sunny Australia.The clouds are clearing Brian so here are the daylight snaps. I took them five minutes ago, no flash this time and natural light.

Attachments

• kk0069.JPG
    kk0069.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 398
  • kk0070.JPG
    kk0070.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 372
  • kk0073.JPG
    kk0073.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 1,079
  • kk0074.JPG
    kk0074.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 366
hey Willy

yes! that finish is amazing! looks like tung oil IS everything that people claim it is. I can't wait to get to that stage of my build

Brian

I had used nothing but Danish oil on my korina and walnut finishes before and was pretty happy with the results. But this "trial run" has sold me on Tung oil. I'm tempted to tear'em all down and start over.

Fantastic!! I too have a Black Korina fetish... I think..
This one reminds me of my flamed korina strat, which I was stupid enough to sell :( :sad1:

whoa those are some nice pics, very shinny, Very nice.  :icon_thumright:

This thread has sold me the Korina with tung oil finish for my next build.

Willyk what kind of grainfill did you use? I've already found the Pure Tung Oil Soloschenko mentioned in his thread on finishing in Tung (Liberon).

Back