Korina jazz bass neck woods?

yddeds

I'm planning on building a chambered korina jazz bass but I'm not sure what woods to use for the neck. I want something lightweight so I don't have to much neck dive but warm sounding.
Any suggestions?

Both Mahogany and the Korinas (Black and white) require finishes, and that's NFG. (IMO.)

Black Korina/Wenge/Ebony was the fad on this forum a few years back. Seems like a good combination.  Wenge is on the heavy side, but this can be alleviated by choosing lightweight tuners.

line6man said:
Both Mahogany and the Korinas (Black and white) require finishes, and that's NFG. (IMO.)

Black Korina/Wenge/Ebony was the fad on this forum a few years back. Seems like a good combination.  Wenge is on the heavy side, but this can be alleviated by choosing lightweight tuners.

How does the weight of wenge compare to rosewood? I was thinking of using an all rosewood neck but i wasnt sure about the weight.

There's a reason the Black Korina / Wenge / Ebony triplicate is so common. Ok, so we are a bit lemmingesque, but it's a very very good combo that compliments each other well.

ShredEd said:
line6man said:

How does the weight of wenge compare to rosewood? I was thinking of using an all rosewood neck but i wasnt sure about the weight.

Indian Rosewood is one of the heaviest woods you can choose.

ShredEd said:
.. I want something lightweight so I don't have to much neck dive but warm sounding.
Any suggestions?

Wenge or Goncalo Alves neck with Rosewood/Kingwood/Ziricote fretboard for a warm sounding neck. Of course that's only on paper, pickups amps and your playing will also affect the tone. You can substitute any of these woods with Bubinga for neck and Pau Ferro/Ebony for fretboard if you want to add brightness. Consider also the combination of a Bubinga neck with a Wenge fretboard. This combination is used more often in basses than guitars. 

Graphite rods are the way to go if you want to avoid neck dive. If you are planning to order the body on Warmoth specify the weight. You can't specify the exact weight but you can ask (for example) for no less than 4lbs and no more than 5 lbs.

line6man said:
ShredEd said:
line6man said:

Indian Rosewood is one of the heaviest woods you can choose.

Yeah thats what i was worried about

Keep in mind too - "warm" in guitar might be "punchy" in a bass. Think of the wood as being a fixed EQ, but you've moved the fundamental and all its harmonics in relation to the EQ.

Back