Ken C. and Roadhouse Pickups

dNA

Disclaimer: this is not a review of the pickups per se - it's just a recounting of events when I got to meet Ken yesterday and try out some of his products.
Second disclaimer: Ken has asked me not to use his last name. I won't discuss, but I will assure you that his reasons are sound.

So yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting Ken and demoing his various pickup models in a couple guitars (3 W's and a fender.) Not only was it an exciting opportunity to try out pickups, but it was actually my first time playing on a fully assembled warmoth!  :headbang:
My fiance and I are in Portland looking for places to rent and we're getting around entirely by foot and public transportation. Ken went out of his way to pick is up in the city and take us to his house - saving us an hour+ train ride. He graciously invited us into his living room with his wife and daughter, where I jammed out for probably an hour or more with the different models. Ken was articulate in answering any questions that I had and good at explaining some of the technical things that were beyond my understanding. His wife, although she claims not to be a musical person, also made some helpful and interesting comments.
After I'd settled on what I was looking for and informally placed my order, and they fed us a few chocolate chip cookies :)blob7:), Ken loaded us back in his truck and drove us back to town (to wherever we needed to go.)

All in all, it was just a really positive experience and I'm really excited to get my pickup from Ken. I settled on the same hybrid Special/Fatboy that Ken originally made up for Hannaugh. I was really enjoying the Specials, but when I tried out that hybrid model in the neck position it was love at first sound. It was so gratifying to play some riffs I've written and hear them exactly as they sound in my head. That's the best way I can explain it.
Unfortunately this time around all I need is one neck pickup, but I definitely see myself going back to Ken if/when the time comes for a strat build. I loved the Fatboys in the bridge - it was meaty and articulate and makes me a lot less hesitant to give up a humbucker in the bridge position. Really nice.
I'm also really excited to see what Ken does when he starts workin on humbuckers which, from my understanding, should be in the near future. I'm really happy to support a forumite and a local business. Ken is one of those guys who is clearly passionate about the work he does and you hear it when he speaks. He also has drive to do his own thing, forging forward with his own ideas and having the integrity to stick with them. I think he's a stand-up guy and I would encourage anyone looking for replacement pickups to get in touch with him to see what he has to offer.

Ken -  :rock-on:

If you mean the hollow strat w/ the ziricote top and neck, then no... That unfortunately was not strung up. And don't think that i was happy about it  :-\

no, I meant this one.... the best strat on this forum in my opinion:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=100.0

KorinaFP3b.jpg

KorinaFP2a.jpg

Sealed the deal with Chocolate Chip Cookies.  Brilliant move.  I can't wait to see the Humbuckers.  I know that I am not much different than anyone else, I want a pickup that will do everything.  Can't wait for them to come out.
Patrick

THAT'S service  :headbang:

Ken, I'm really keeping you in mind when I need some single coils for a strat or traditional tele.

Yeah, when I get around to building a single coil guitar it will have Roadhouse pickups. Cookies totally sealed the deal for me :icon_jokercolor:

Marko said:
no, I meant this one.... the best strat on this forum in my opinion:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=100.0

KorinaFP3b.jpg

KorinaFP2a.jpg

oh yeah. that.
actually Ken had that neck on a different body, and I played that one with a traditional birdseye maple neck. I believe that was the one with the SRV contour. I really dug it.
I did get to just feel the raw ziricote neck w/o strings on it. It felt smooth and sexy. Definitely have something raw in mind for my future.

Thanks Dan! It was really nice meeting you and your fiance'. Maybe sometime you can tell us how you convinced a well spoken, educated, delightful, beautiful European girl to marry you!  :laughing7: I certainly wish you both the best!

Glad I was able to help you with your travels. Being in an unfamiliar city and taking long trips on public transportation can take a bit fun out of the trip. Plus it gave us a chance to talk. Your fiance' was nice about us talking guitar stuff the entire ride. Please thank her for her patience. I hope the rest of your trip goes smoothly and you find a great place to live. I think you both will do well here and it will feel like home to you very quickly. Plus, when you live this close to Warmoth, you get the shipping notice one day and the package arrives the next, it's great!

I do plan to have humbuckers available in the near future. Each set will come with a chocolate chip cookie. :laughing3:

The korina strat has a maple / rosewood neck on it at the moment. It is used to showcase the Fatboy pickups and with the ziricote neck on people just weren't sure what the neck was doing for the sound. Thanks for props Marko. I was really glad to see your VIP showcased for guitar of the month. I still think it's super classy!

* on a side note, I asked dNA to reduce my last name to just the initial. My last name is very similar to a certain congressman who apparently likes prostitutes. And unfortunately in some articles they misspell  his last name and it is like mine. We have the same first name and since I have a fairly unique name I have had people ask me about this congressman issue. With the way the internet hangs on to info I don't want to ever be confused with him. Thanks for taking care of that dNA.

I'm looking forward to the humbuckers. Maybe I'll need a third tele with a humbucker in the neck.

Also, I edited my earlier post to take your last name out. Maybe some of you other guys can do the same  :)

I wish I knew you were that close, i just live a few Miles from Ken, And I agree , that Blk Korina of his is awesome,

Very nice Post dNA

Back