Keeley Compressor

TTU Shredder

I have been wanting to add a Keeley pedal to my chain and I am already thinking of modding my DS-1 and Ibanez TS9 by Keeley. I have heard alot of good things about their Compressor pedal, but really I dont know what it would really do to my sound. I have watched a few demos on Youtube and really wasnt able to pick up a difference. So what I am really asking is are the compressor pedals worth the talk everybody says? If so what does it do to your sound? AND there are two Keeley Compressor pedals, would I get the original or the four knob version. Thanks for your help. 

Compressors are hard to understand by ear, you should play to see the difference. I like em for cleans, sometimes are good for dirty sounds too. Depends how you put the compressor in the FX chain, before or after the drives. I have not played with the Keeley, I have the Barber Tone Press and I recommend this pedal. It's noiseless even with all controls all the way up and very transparent. Not a vintage recreation, Barber makes excellent pedals.

http://www.barberelectronics.com/tonepress.htm

I've best heard a compressor described as something that you really don't notice that much when its on, but when its off it seems like something is missing.  It smooths out the tone by limiting high amplitude signal and boosting low amplitude signal.  In this way, it can also contribute to better sustain.

I know that there is a love hate relationship with the BYOC guys around here, but regardless of their products, their page gives more information about the classic compressors which may help you on your search.  This is the link to their five knob compressor.  Have fun
Patrick

Back