Just saying hi.... my first post.

NeilStryker

Hey guys- I ordered my first warmoth project body and neck about 5 weeks ago... pretty excited about that, been wanted to do this for about 15 years since I got my first catalog back in high school (early 90's).

My new warmoth specs:
Mahogany hollow strat body with top f-hole, rear routed, no pickguard.  Vol / Tone / 5 way in Tele position.  Very cool Pau Ferro top from the "Unique Choice" section, and creme drop top binding on the body.  Clear satin finish.

Mahogany Warmoth neck, standard thin, 6150 frets,  creme binding on Maccassar Ebony board and ebony headstock veneer.

I'm putting a Pearly Gates in the bridge, an Area 58 in the mid and a SD Jazz in the neck position. 

Question: What do you guys think about splitting the coils on the Pearly Gates and Jazz?  Have you ever done that on those and how does it sound?  Worth doing or not?

Which height mounting rings work best on a strat body??

And thanks for all your great posts, I've learned a bunch and had a few laughs.. 

Welcome...sounds like a cool build you have planned there.  Looking forward to seeing the final product.

I've done coil splitting on a Jazz and Custom - I think it sounds good, especially with a clean tone. The Jazz is a great pickup IMO. I haven't tried a Pearly Gates, so I don't know about that one, but I'm sure it will sound good.

Welcome!
that actually sounds like something I would build! :) actually an f-holed/back routed strat is next for me!!  :toothy10:

I second the praise on the SD Jazz, as a humbucker and also split (this was a maple necked guitar). Excellent pickup, one of my very very favorite. I can't wait to see this guitar!

A big HOWDY to ya from Texas.......

Sound like a killer six-shooter you got planned...... :icon_thumright:

I've still yet to splurge on my first build (you guys are KILLING me!) but, Welcome! I second (or is it third? :laughing7:) the sentiments above about the SD Jazz. It may have the Jazz name but, I play full-on metal leads with that pup and the range is incredible. Sounds killer for any application!

As for the mouting rings, just get the flat metal ones.  On a strat / flat top guitar that's all you want... unless you plan on getting an angled neck pocket (gibson style) but that doesn't seem to be the case.

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/parts/parts.cfm?fuseaction=include_mounting_rings

They're the first right at the top on the link above.

Okay great thanks.  I'm definitely going to split the Jazz and the Pearly Gates, with chrome mounting rings. 

Follow up pickup question:  I got my pearly gates and Jazz in the mail the other day- both are black/creme...  my question is whether it matters which direction i install them?  Does it matter where the screw row of pole pieces is oriented with relation to the guitar/ or the other pickups?  My middle pickup is a creme Area 58.. so I wanted the color of the bobbins to be creme/black, creme, black/ creme from bridge to neck... :icon_scratch:

it is usualy crews on the outside on both pickups but it doesnt matter sonicly or for wireing perposes.

Brian

Back