Jazzmaster trem routing on Strat body

eyu

Is there generally not enough space below the bridge on a strat for routing a JM style tremolo?
I assume this is the case (as it's not under the standard bridge routing options for a strat body), but was curious when I saw the Parallel Universe II Jazz Strat.

It’s possible to do (like the Parallel Universe model) but there probably just isn’t enough demand for it for Warmoth to do it

I suppose a valid question is, why would there need to be an option for a JM tremolo on a Strat body when there are many suitable alternatives?

I suppose a valid question is, why would there need to be an option for a JM tremolo on a Strat body when there are many suitable alternatives?
It seems that the JM trem has gained sort of a cult following. Some of the more"retro" boutique brands like Novo and BilT are making heavy use of them.

i called in the past to see if a jazzmaster bridge and pickups could be put on a tele and as best as i remember they said yes, i ended up ordering with gotoh 510 and p90s instead, but just saing, call and ask

It seems that the JM trem has gained sort of a cult following. Some of the more"retro" boutique brands like Novo and BilT are making heavy use of them.

I still wonder why, each to their own of course. But perhaps as I am older, I don't have the "nostalgia" for offsets and related parts.

In the 1960s a NZ company did just that. The Jansen Invader. It was my first real electric guitar that was playable. My brother-in-law tried to play guitar during the Surfing Era, didn't work out so it was stuck in his old bedroom at his parents' place. When he found out I was playing guitar on a crappy acoustic he suggested 'lending' it to me. Strat body, JM trem (yuk, never worked well for me), 24.75" scale, rosewood fretboard, maple neck, Jaguar switch plate which allowed all 3 on or neck & bridge combos, so it was unique in that regards. I handed it back to him when I got a Fender Strat. Took a while for me to understand that the Fender was harder to play due to it's longer scale.

@Re-Pete thanks for that, I looked up some images of the Jansen Invader. Was it reasonably playable overall?

My first electric was a second hand Jedson "Telecaster" style, which was Japanese. I am not sure what happened to it in the end but I remember repainting it and dressing the fret ends, building a new body for from a piece of cedar with hand tools.

Last edited:
@stratamania I'll be honest, that Jansen Invader is my playing hand's comparison point. It had, IIRC, a early 60s style C shaped profile on the neck and the neck was pretty honest about what you were playing. Not much fight to it. But I was learning and hadn't laid my hands on better guitars back then, so my recall is kinda sentimental. The brand has been resurrected in NZ and they are available online but the standard of the instrument is probably NOT equal to the old Jansens. Built to a pricepoint. I am tempting to buy one that looks just like Laurie's did but frankly, it would be an indulgence and I have far better guitars to play now. Surprisingly the 2 guitars I picked up in last 3 years are real 'go to' instruments'. A Fender Telecaster JA90 which I fitted with TV Jones Powertrons in P90 casings & upgraded pots and caps & a Gibson SG Original with Maestro wiggly trem. No surprise that both of those guitars are 24.75" scale too.

@Re-Pete thanks for the reply. Good to hear that the Jansen had a memorable playing feel. I get what you mean about indulgence, but a certain amount is probably in balance with things, though of course over indulgence is less so...

Back