Jazzmaster case?

exalted

What do all you Jazzmaster owners use for cases?

I took mine to GC and it was WAY to big to fit in any of the cases.

Unfortunately, whatever I get, I need it to be a universal case, since mine is a lefty.  :-\

I've had a hard time finding anything that works.  Even my gig bags are all too small.

There is a Fender JM case you can get on musicansfriend but it comes in at near $200... not sure if they have a lefty option on that one.  I think I'm going to have to dish out the cash on that one once I have the cash to spare.  The good news is that the case has a plush orange interior:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&base_pid=541531&index=2  - which I'm sure you will agree is pretty damn cool given the circumstances.

Worse case scenario you could ask Fender about that though the chances are you'll never hear back from them.

Good luck.

there is a guy on ebay who sells jazzmaster cases - i think it is like $70 plus $20 shipping. seem to have decent feedback about it too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HARD-SHELL-CASE-FITS-FENDER-JAZZMASTER-JAGUAR-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ110348485166QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item110348485166&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

i have been thinking about buying one of these for a while now.

but since my jm has a conversion neck (atleast 1/2 inch shorter than the normal neck) it fits perfectly in my strat gig bag.

Hey I don't know about a Jazzmaster case, but I have a case problem too.  My WGD doesn't fit into any of the cases I have.  I have two cases here, the one that came with my Am. Std Strat, and my WGD body is too wide and too long to fit it.  I also have a generic case that I use for one of my homebuilts, it's shape was traced from the bottom half of a strat, so it is symmetrical a double cutaway, but it is I think a tiny bit smaller than a strat proper. 

So my solution was going to be a coffin case.  I have always wanted one ever since I stared seeing them in musicians friend. Especially the white ltd edition cases they make. I have been looking on Fleabay for coffin cases and have found some at pretty good prices, under $100 shipped.  I just wonder if my guitar will fit it or not..... I don't think my guitar is any wider than a Bich, but I don't know.  Most coffin cases I think are meant to fit the BC Rich guitars with their funky shapes.  My WGD almost fits in my strat case, but it doesn't fit if you know what I mean, it looks like it'll fit, but when you try it, well it doesn't fit at all.

So maybe give the coffin cases a look.  That might be the ticket.  If I can't find a super awesome deal on a coffin case (what I mean by super awesome is under $50.  I'm not opposed to buying a guitar and case and selling the guitar if I can get the case for free in the transaction) I will just build myself a case, they aren't that hard to build.  I'd be happy to build you one too, but you will be on your own with putting tolex or tweed on it, if I build my own, I am seriously thinking about putting a lexan top on it so I can see my guitar in the case and it will double as a display case that way too...

Just my two cents on cases.  Anybody else on here have a coffin case they could measure for us? 

I actually have a coffin case.

I had a Schecter Hellcat, which is shaped similarly to a Jazzmaster. The Coffin Case was the ONLY case Guitar Center had that it would fit. The Hellcat was too wide and too long for any other case...it fit very snugly...but the Jazzmaster is even worse.

I'll see if I can dig up some measuring tape or some other quantifiable way to let you know what would or wouldn't fit.

exalted said:
I actually have a coffin case.

I had a Schecter Hellcat, which is shaped similarly to a Jazzmaster. The Coffin Case was the ONLY case Guitar Center had that it would fit. The Hellcat was too wide and too long for any other case...it fit very snugly...but the Jazzmaster is even worse.

I'll see if I can dig up some measuring tape or some other quantifiable way to let you know what would or wouldn't fit.

How is that coffin case?  Durable?  Strong enough to take on a Peterbuilt at 65 MPH?  My fender case is a piece of junk honestly, I am down to one latch on the end it wouldn't be so bad if I still had the middle latch, but it fell off too.  Now I use a couple of bungee cords to keep it shut or else my guitar would fall out every time I picked the case up.  Actually my fender lives in her case pretty much all the time she has way too much sentimental value for me to play anymore.  I just like owning it, that is good enough for me I don't care if I ever play it again, frankly, just knowing it is under the bed is enough for me.  Anyway sorry about the tangent, what I was getting to before I distracted myself is this, if you can't find a tape measure, you can use a stratocaster for reference or if you don't have one of those available, a simple piece of paper will do.  A piece of paper is I think 8 1/2" X 11"

Well if I can't find a proper case and I don't find the modivation to build a case, I can always use my double rifle case.  It was advertised to fit two rifles with scopes, but I can fit 3 Remington 700 BDL's in it all with scopes, I just have to make sure the middle gun is facing the opposite direction of the outer guns and I have to stagger them a little.  I have used it for a guitar case before, but it is pretty hard to close cause it is lined with that egg crate foam inside and it does put quite the smashing on a guitar when it's closed.

I have one of those white coffin cases. I keep my VIP in it. It is a perfect fit for that guitar. I really like the case. I don't travel much at all with it though, so I can't vouch for its durability. I think it comes only in rightie though.

Here's a picture of my strat knockoff in the case.

It fits snugly around the widest parts, but has room to breath everywhere else.

Please don't judge me based on that guitar! I was desperate to have something to play, and that poor old thing is very close to retirement now that I have my first Warmoth nearly up and running.  :redflag:

exalted said:
Here's a picture of my strat knockoff in the case.

It fits snugly around the widest parts, but has room to breath everywhere else.

Please don't judge me based on that guitar! I was desperate to have something to play, and that poor old thing is very close to retirement now that I have my first Warmoth nearly up and running.  :redflag:

Damnit!!!!!!  It looks like the WGD won't fit from that pic.

Hey bro no judgements here, we all gotta start somewhere.  Besides that, you should be seeing a ton of inspiration from that guitar.  Don't retire it, refinish it!!!!! It looks like a blank canvas to me.  I actually like knockoffs for that reason..... You will not feel bad about getting the belt sander out and going nuts on it.  Seriously, once your Warmoth is done, think about refinishing that guitar.  How does it play that is the important thing here,  if it is a good playing instrument that needs a little tweak here and there, well it is perfect practice material for you to work with.  You can take your time and try stuff out with it and not feel bad if you phuck something up.  And you can teach yourself how to dial a guitar in to what you want.  It takes about 10 seconds with some 120 grit sandpaper to remove any kind of brand name from a headstock, and then what you have is essentially what Leo has been churning out for 50 some odd years.  Make up your own logo for the headstock and you are good to go.  That way too when you are done with the Warmoth and rebuilding this one you'll have two awesome guitars.

I have refinished a couple of MIM and MIJ fenders.  Those are my favorite projects, and the guys that I did them for are pretty happy with how they turned out.  Although one guy did ask me to paint his MIJ plywood strat with gray automotive primer, he wanted it to look like duct tape.  So I did, and he promptly covered it with duct tape anyway.  I spent forever sanding that body too it kinda pissed me off, but it does look cool with the duct tape on it!!!  He literally throws it into the back seat of his car when he goes gigging, and once and a while he says he'll drop it just for the hell of it.  I told him how much time I spent on it and I don't like hearing about abusing it, but it is his and he did pay me so I really have no say in the matter

I have an SX bass I got on Ebay a while ago from Rondo Music in New Jersey.  This bass was a total piece of crap from day one.... the pots didn't work and it had about an inch of polyester on it and some sort of paper pseudo flame maple applique on the top of it.  Well to make a long story short my wife bought me a new sander for christmas and I was bored one day waiting for my Warmoth order, so I took the bass apart and started sanding.  I found some really nice poplar under the poly and figured I'd stain it and call it a day.  I did some other stuff to it too like recess the bridge slightly so the basplate of the bridge was flush with the top of the body and ran the strings down through the body.  I still need ferrules for the back but the strings aren't pulling through the wood yet so I'm not worried.  I also made some wooden pickup covers for the ultra cheap jap pu's and did a little rewire, no volume, just a treble bleed setup to roll the treble off.  I originally put in a TRS effects loop in it, but I never use effects with the bass, so I omitted that and just added a second output so I can use two amps or an amp and a PA board.  I added on off switches for the PU's and I can honestly say that it plays like butter now.  I had some fret buzz issues, but I went nuts with a file on the third fret and now I don't have any buzz, but I have an almost non functional 3rd fret I took too much off, but I really don't care.  I only paid $120 for the bass to begin with (actually I didn't pay anything for the bass I put it on a Credit card that I ended up writing off when I filed for bankruptcy a few years ago) But my point to that is I bought a crappy bass that wasn't really playable when I took it out of the box, but after some massaging, I made it nice and playable.

Thanks for the advice!

It definitely needs some work. As you can see, the finish is half on-half off. I decided one day that I could and would refinish it...I got 80% of the paint off then started reading about how dangerous and difficult applying nitro is, and after pricing all the safety equipment I needed, it just came out to be too expensive. I bought a real nice Schecter Hellcat, and put the parts for that Cort in a drawer. When that Schecter got stolen, I pulled that out and did my damnedest to make it a playable guitar.

The two-post trem it originally came with was missing some of the pieces, unfortunately, but I found a lefty trem on Craigslist for 20 bucks. Apparently it was from an American Highway 1 Strat. When I got it home, I realized it was the six-pole kind...wanting SOMETHING to play, I filled in the two post holes and drilled six new ones...those cracked what was left of the finish pretty badly. Still, it held tune moderately well, and it got me through the past two months.

I don't know, maybe you're right. I think I could fill those six holes in and re-drill for the two-post trem...eventually.

I have my silver Jazzmaster I bought on eBay, and I'm still waiting on the Jazzmaster I ordered from the W (three P-90's, candy tangerine finish, rosewood neck). When I get both of those fully up and running, I don't think I'll really NEED that strat, but I suppose for nostalgia's sake I might get it up and running again one day...but if you look at my wiring handywork (in the wiring forum), you'll see I'm definitely not the handiest guy around. :icon_tongue:

Man anything I can do to help you along this road let me know.  I'd be more than happy to give you a LEFT hand whenever you need it.  Screw the Nitro for a project like a refinish on a beater.  Use some hardware store wipe on polyurethane.  Or paint it.  Think "ok I have basically everything I need I'm only gonna spend $20 to refinish this guitar"  Get a $20 and an envelope.  Go to the hardware store with your $20 and buy what you think you need.  Put the change in the envelope and go home and go nuts. But stick to your budget.  Don't go out and buy anything till you are absolutely one hundred percent certain that you need it.  You would be amazed at what you can do when you put yourself on a super rediculously low budget.  You start getting crafty.  My Grandfather was a handyman that wasted nothing.  He taught me to utilize every bit of material that you have to buy.  I never throw scraps of wood away.  In fact I have a couple of baby food jars with different kinds of sawdust so I can mix it with glue to make it match.  All this stuff I am blathering about is very doable for anyone, just don't be afraid to mess something up.  You will.  It is how you fix the phuck up's that helps you with the learning process.  Hey bro when I built my first guitar, it was a mess.  I still have it, in fact it is gonna be my next project when the WGD is done.  I'm gonna put the 17 years of practice into it and make it what I dreamed it could be when I was 15.  All it takes is some practice and gobs of patience.

If you are interested in refinishing this guitar and you need the bridge holes filled and refitted I can do that for you if you feel like that is too much.  If it were mine, I'd put a block of wood in the hole where the trem is and put a hardtail bridge on it and call it a day....  Or a recessed tune o matic mount or something.  Hell you can put a wooden acoustic bridge on it if you put a little thought into how to set it up.  It is way easier for me to think of ideas when there isn't a huge investment to begin with.  When I first ordered my WGD I had grand visions of doing a bunch of abalone and pearl inlay on it, then I got to thinking about how pissed I would be if I phucked something up on it, so I scrapped that idea.  But I do have plans in my head for another WGD body for myself, scratch built out of some walnut I have here at my shop, that one I will do a ton of inlay work to cause I didn't spend almost $400 on a really pretty cutting board......  If I mess up a $5 piece of wood I'm out $5 and my time, but if I mess up the piece of flame maple I paid $75 to have glued onto my Warmoth, well I wouldn't be very much fun to be around.  Yeah man from one Lefty to another, keep on wrenching on your guitars, sooner or later you will enjoy building them as much as playing them,  and like I said if you ever need some help with something, I'd be glad to talk you through it or even if you have to send me something that you want just right, I'd be happy to help....

Cool, man. Thanks a ton!

I feel silly admitting it, but I managed to intonate my jazzmaster perfectly this evening. As minor a feat as this is, it feels like a pretty big accomplishment to have gotten something right in this process so far! It was so easy to do, but I just never took the time to learn before now.

exalted said:
Cool, man. Thanks a ton!

I feel silly admitting it, but I managed to intonate my jazzmaster perfectly this evening. As minor a feat as this is, it feels like a pretty big accomplishment to have gotten something right in this process so far! It was so easy to do, but I just never took the time to learn before now.
That's the spirit, do it yourself man!!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Back