Jazz Bass pickup ground wiring question....

TK4261

I just received my pre-wired Aquilar OBP-2 Bass preamp for my Warmoth Jazz build and I'll be matching it up with a set of Nordstrand NJ4's. I've wired up passive electronics before with regular CTS pots but never with a pre-wired preamp, I'm curious on where to connect the ground wires from the pickups for this setup.

Controls: Volume(pull for passive), Blend knob & Stacked Bass/Treble...
032-1.jpg

I know the hot/positive connection from the pickups get soldered onto the blend pot.
034-1.jpg

My question is, Does the ground from the pickups and bridge ground get soldered to the ground wire coming off the input jack?
040-2.jpg

Doesn't show on the Aguilar wiring diagram for where to connect pickup ground or bridge ground.

Any help would be much appreciated  :eek:ccasion14:

Solder them wherever you want, it really doesn't matter, as long as there is 0 Ohm continuity between all ground points.

Also, that is an OUTPUT jack. The signal flows out of it, not into it.

line6man said:
Solder them wherever you want, it really doesn't matter, as long as there is 0 Ohm continuity between all ground points.

Also, that is an OUTPUT jack. The signal flows out of it, not into it.

Thanks line6man...On both Talkbass & here... :laughing7:

One thing that can be confusing on wiring these pre's is how the ground and the negative terminal of the battery work.  As Line6Man said, ground is ground is ground.  However, to keep you from running through batteries, the negative to the battery is generally the ring tab, while ground is consolidated through the sleeve.  Or more simply, the one that is at the base of the socket is ground, the one in the middle is the neg term of the battery  When a normal cable is inserted the ring and sleeve become connected by the metal of the ground part of the plug, and the power circuit is complete.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
One thing that can be confusing on wiring these pre's is how the ground and the negative terminal of the battery work.  As Line6Man said, ground is ground is ground.  However, to keep you from running through batteries, the negative to the battery is generally the ring tab, while ground is consolidated through the sleeve.  Or more simply, the one that is at the base of the socket is ground, the one in the middle is the neg term of the battery  When a normal cable is inserted the ring and sleeve become connected by the metal of the ground part of the plug, and the power circuit is complete.
Patrick

Looking at the pictures, you've got the negative terminal of the battery connected directly to the sleeve terminal. (Or I would assume so, given that there are multiple ground leads soldered to one terminal, and one is the battery's negative.) As Patrick says, the battery should not be grounded. It goes to the ring terminal, so that the insertion of a 1/4" TS connector will short the ring to the sleeve and allow the battery to power the preamp.

The power consumption of most preamps is very low. In fact, IIRC, early MusicMan basses were hardwired with the battery powering the preamp 24/7. There is no need to waste current, however, so most people extend their battery life by only powering the preamp when they are actually playing the bass.

Back