Jaguar Thinline

hannaugh

Master Member
Never saw one of these before.  Not sure how I feel about it.

0250700506_frt_wmd_001.jpg

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0250700506

Love it.

But then I think just about anything looks better with an f-hole.

Pity they had to keep the Jaguar bridge though.

hannaugh said:

Be better ...
Without that antique so called tremolo.
Using a String through.
Needs a Raw Wenge / Ebony neck.
Locking Tuners.
No F hole.

Then be good to go  :icon_thumright:

hannaugh said:

Well, they're unusual. Two of my younger brothers each had one, and one of my good buddies from 100 years ago had the Jazzmaster, which is very similar. They were originally Alder solid bodies, unlike the one you have pictured. They're a real serious pain in the ass to keep tuned. I mean, you can't even make it through a whole song without making some adjustment, if you've got a critical ear. But, otherwise it's a comfy thing. The originals were a short scale (24") so they were approachable by just about anyone, although they were heavy. Lotta wood there.

We spent a lot of time on those things trying to get them to behave and sound/look right. They were attractive because they were Fenders, and so considered "professional" instruments. It was a proud thing to have one. But really, it's a goofy design, mechanically, and there's not much you can do about it. That's why they never really caught on, and why my brothers were able to get one on the cheap. It was unusual back then for one of those to go for much more than $100.

Today, they command a little more money because the grunge guys use them in an effort to channel Kurt Ka-bang. But, otherwise there's not much draw.

Fender's Japanese division has been doing Thinline Jazzmasters for quite a while (as well as Thinline Strats, which are ridiculously beautiful, and Thinline Telecaster Deluxes which are gorgoues but you can't use one now without someone saying you're just ripping off Paramore). Doing it to Jaguars isn't much of a jump.

I just wish it was a standard production model, rather than Custom Shop. It's a pain to import the Japanese models but I also couldn't justify spending Fender CS prices on a guitar that I'd have to modify further myself to match what I really want.

The jaguar is just one of those guitars that I don't like. Don't know what it is. I can't pick something about it I don't like...I just don't like it  :laughing7:

I know what you mean. I don't seriously dislike them, but they're pretty far down the list of body styles I'd choose. I call 'em "amoeba guitars", because they have an amorphous shape that says nothing. But, they are comfy, if you can stand the weight. And they play as well as anything, if you don't mind being out of tune 99% of the time.

We'll see about that tuning problem, though. Tipperman is going to let me build his jag, and I'm a crafty little devil. I may be able to bend that thing to my will.

I've always preferred the Jag/Jazzmaster body shape. I like the "amoeba" shape, it's very Googie! But I could never get around all the switches. Put me firmly in the "the fewer knobs and switches" column. One volume, one tone, one switch if you simply must have more than one pickup. Bada-bing bada-boom, you're ready to go.

I think it looks great, better than the original jags. But I wouldn't own it, it has a lot wrong with it: scale, radius, complicated switching, awful trem.

Updown said:
hannaugh said:

Be better ...
Without that antique so called tremolo.
Using a String through.
Needs a Raw Wenge / Ebony neck.
Locking Tuners.

No F hole.
BKPs.
Mastery Bridge.
No binding.

Then be good to go  :icon_thumright:

Sorry Updown, you must have been drunk. I fixed it for you, though.  :laughing7:

More people need to get into Jaguars... could do without the F hole while remaining hollow. Needs to look more "classic" Jaguar though. Nitro finish, mint green pickguard. Don't know bout no tunin' perblems. Maybe it's jus' yer playin'? Or maybe that there bridge that be causin' them perblems. That bridge, she's a mean bessie, butchoo can fix'er up nice n right with that mastery bridge.

I like their shape but that's about it. They look like a Switchcraft salesman's demonstration tool.

My next one is using a Japanese "Jagmaster" body with normal pickups, a normalized Strat whammy, and a slight variation from the electronics on my #1 Tele. The inspiration for it is Warmoth's "7/8" neck - a 24-fret, 24.75" scale neck that fits both their 7/8 Strat and Tele bods but also any conventional 24" scale Fenderish body. It promises to be a honey. Better be, cause I'm demolishing my Telecasters to come up with SOMETHING that's easier on my infernal carpal-tunneling, trigger-fingering hands. Slide fury... updates soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier_Jagmaster
one of those Japanese Squiers they stopped making cause they were better than American Fenders! :laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7:

Tipperman said:
Sorry Updown, you must have been drunk. I fixed it for you, though.  :laughing7:

Thanks  :icon_thumright:

Hey .... Tipperman have you seen this Jaguar with BKP's in it.
http://www.fender.com/products/johnnymarrjaguar/models.php?prodNo=0116400

Attachments

• 0116400750_frt_wlg_001.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 363
The 7/8 warhead neck will intonate on a W mustang or Jag body with stock bridge position? This changes everything...... :eek:ccasion14: 24" is too short but 24.75 is fine.

extra light Jag body, couple of p90 or similar pups, 7/8 warhead neck, gibson toggle, master volume and tone, bridge maybe a string through TOM or simple strat hardtail. Hm!

Updown said:
Tipperman said:

Thanks  :icon_thumright:

Hey .... Tipperman have you seen this Jaguar with BKP's in it.
http://www.fender.com/products/johnnymarrjaguar/models.php?prodNo=0116400

Oh yes, I have. I got an email about it when it was launched. Still, despite having BKPs, it should come stock with a Mastery Bridge, or at least a similar style instead of the vintage bridge with mustang saddles. The mustang saddles don't really cut it for making the Jaguars tailed-bridge tremolo workable. With a Mastery Bridge the tremolo is actually worth using! Shocking, I know. Me saying a vintage design isn't perfect.... unheard of!

The other thing I don't like is the control plates. I LOVE the complicated switching on a Jaguar, and don't really dig the way that one is wired. Regardless, though... As long as it sounds like a Jaguar (as in, the original wiring setup for the roller pots, etc.) its cool in my book. The BKPs are kind of a waste in that configuration for my needs. Still, I can see it being a MUCH more approachable Jaguar for many many musicians, noodlers, and otherwise funky peeps. Definitely much simpler to use live without extensive practice ahead of time. And, of course, getting more people into Jaguars is always a good thing. Versatile beasts, them jaguars. (Read: Jag-you-errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) Ain't no Y's up in there.

I love Jazzmasters and Jaguars, I've just never seen one with an f-hole. 

My neighbor had a really nice vintage Jaguar that I drooled over for years, even with that stupid crappy tremolo and bridge.  There was just something about it that I loved.  I found out recently that he traded it at Guitar Center for a new Fender Strat and a Hot Rod Deluxe.  I was so sad.  He has a Gibson archtop from the 1930s too.  He'll probably trade that in for a brand new Gibson, right before I punch him in the face. 

Seriously though, my next Warmoth will be either a Tele or a Jag. 

PGS has a video, where it sounds good;  but then again, they make everything sound good.

http://proguitarshop.com/fender-special-edition-jaguar-thinline-black.html

Back