Jackson SL2H Hardware Change

DocNrock

Master Member
I bought a new Jackson SL2H earlier this year with the natural finish. Love the flame maple and it is a killer player, but when I first looked at it, I thought it should have had gold hardware instead of chrome.  The chrome looked cheap, somehow.

I know some of you HATE gold hardware, so you can stop reading now.  :laughing7:

Recently, I built a blue quilt maple Warmoth Strat that to me needed chrome hardware. Soooooo, I hijacked the chrome hardware off of my SL2H and replaced it with gold hardware. I think it looks killer.

A couple of kinks appeared in doing this. Firstly, the CTS pots that come in the SL2H had shafts too large for the gold knobs I got. So they got replaced with RS Guitarworks pots (which are made by CTS). The chrome switch got replaced with a gold one. The stock trem came with a 32mm block; the replacement had a 37mm block, so that had to be swapped out (I used one of those L-shaped brass ones from FloydUpgrades.com) Since I had to redo the wiring, I decided to change out the pups; I'm more of a DiMarzio guy.

After much searching (and not wanting to replicate what I had in my other guitars), I decided to try a Steve's Special in the bridge and an Air Zone in the neck. This turns out to be a GREAT combo. The SS is hot and full on rhythm, screams on lead, but is very articulate. The Air Zone is fat and full, but not muddy, tracks well on the lower notes, and is hot with a hint of vintage.

The only thing I need to find now is a gold replacement allen wrench holder for behind the headstock.  :icon_biggrin:

jacksongold.jpg

"I know some of you HATE gold hardware, so you can stop reading now."

I LOVE the look, I HATE how my acidic hands peel the plating off in a matter of minutes.

But that looks fantastic with the gold.

I agree, that guitar definitely calls for gold.  Its MUCH better!

Its not that I don't like gold, I just think most guitars look better with black hardware.   I only like chrome on solid colors because IMHO it takes a bit of the pop out of figured tops.  I gotta build me a soloist.....  :evil4:

looks cool but:

Gallery - * Please * Only Pictures & Comments of Completed Warmoth Projects in this section »

someone make me a mod  - I'll move stuff around hehehe ;)

Hey Doc, found a gold holder for you.

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Locking_Nut_Parts-Locking_Tremolo_Allen_Wrench_Holder.html

Blue313 said:
Hey Doc, found a gold holder for you.

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Locking_Nut_Parts-Locking_Tremolo_Allen_Wrench_Holder.html

Thanks Dan!  I've been needing those for my W's, as well. 

Glad you all like it as well as I do.  :icon_thumright:

I love the gold hardware on it fits really well to me. I have gold hardware on one of my Jackson's...
2484908957_0e6fdcf92c.jpg

DangerousR6 said:
I love the gold hardware on it fits really well to me. I have gold hardware on one of my Jackson's...

Dude, I love that axe.  As we have talked about before, that is a PS-4, right?

DocNrock said:
DangerousR6 said:

Dude, I love that axe.  As we have talked about before, that is a PS-4, right?
Honestly I don't know what it is other than a USA Dinky body.  I had the neck left over from another Dinky that I changed the neck out , and got the body off Ebay. Then got all original Jackson parts off Ebay also...

Back