J-Style Medium-Scale Basses

selowitch

Some questions:
  • I'm curious if anyone has neck-pocket specs and/or neck/body dimensions on the J-style medium-scale basses.
  • Are there any plans to offer a medium-scale P-style bass?
  • Has anybody played a medium-scale Warmoth bass and what do they think?

I can't help with the first 2, but I recently finished a medium scale Warmoth J bass (I still need to post completed pics), and I can tell you that it's a joy to play. The whole bass is lighter and more compact than my Fender Jazz bass, and I feel like I have to reach less. The feel of the canary/pau ferro neck is just awesome. The sound is much more even note-to-note than my Fender. This has taken some getting used to, because I don't have to compensate for the live and dead spots anymore! I used the pickups, preamp, and bridge that I had been using in my Fender, so the tone is very similar. However, the Warmoth seems a little woodier. My bandmates commented that they thought the tone was better, but it could have been placebo, them being polite, or just me being more into what I was playing.  :) Overally, I haven't found a down side to this bass over my old one. The Fender will be up for sale just as soon as I finish putting all the stock electronics back in it!

-Bobbie

Back