It's arrived!

Spider

Hi guys,

First of all, thanks to everyone posting here for your wealth of information and enthusiasm - I've learned a lot! And I'm very excited because...

My second Warmoth has arrived - true to the spirit of the topic, it's just out of the box. My first was a standard tele, swamp ash body, maple neck, Callaham hardware and Fralin pups.

Specs for this one:

Body: Chambered swamp ash on swamp ash, black gloss finish - from the showcase sale. It certainly feels nice and light - my scales say it's 3.6 lbs. Otherwise standard stuff

Neck: Stratocaster®, Vintage Modern, Right Handed Handed, Indian Rosewood, Indian Rosewood Fretboard, 1 11/16" Nut Width, Standard thin, SS6115 (Stainless), Vintage Style (11/32") Tuner Ream, 22 frets, Straight 9.5" Radius, Mother Of Pearl Dots Inlay, Black TUSQ XL, 25-1/2 in. Scale

As you can see from the custom pickguard, I'm going for a 2-pickup strat (who needs 3? :icon_scratch:). Again, I'm going for Callaham hardware and Fralin pickups (I might try his new Split Rails).

Again, absolutely fantastic quality from Warmoth. I'm very picky over quality and I can't find anything (and I mean ANYTHING) out of place here or less than perfect.

I plan to use this as a main gigging guitar with the Tele (always nice to have a backup!) - there's nothing too fancy here, but I'm hoping it'll sound great and handle well. Also, I won't be worried if it falls off its stand, gets dinged, bashed etc.

I probably won't bore you guys with pics of what will be a standard assembly, but I'll post some completed ones when it's done.

Stew Mac pots, switches etc. and the Callaham hardware are on their way - I'm in England so these things always take some time.

Now, back to work...

Thanks - it looks loads better in real life with some unusual figuring, especially on the front of the headstock. Now I just need to shoot about 30 thick coats of amber tinted poly on it...just kidding :icon_biggrin:

That's a nice vintage construction one piece Rosewood neck you have there.  It will look fantastic oiled with a light sheen and a dream to play.

Yes, I've already given it a very light go with some lemon oil - it's brought out the grain a lot and has given it that gentle sheen - feels great already!

That is a beauty of a neck  :glasses9:
I would love to see the finished pics, but borrow a better camera from someone...
:rock-on:

Nice Guit. The Neck Rocks. The shine on the body is awesome too. Are those model airplanes hanging from your ceiling or are you being bombed by the luftwaffe?  :toothy10:

Thanks for your comments - I'm really looking forward to getting it done. Yes, I wondered if anyone would notice the reflections. Definitely model planes on the ceiling, but if you think it was the Luftwaffe I guess I got off lightly!

Funnily enough my house (in Manchester, England) is 120 years old and the bathroom windows still have some criss-cross marks where the owners at the time put tape over the panes. They did this in case the (real) Luftwaffe, who were bombing Manchester at the time, dropped a bomb nearby and blew the windows in - apparently it reduced injuries from flying glass. Makes you think...

I saw the RAF insignia (USAF Vet here), and figured there might some Luftwaffe nearby. LOL

What is it with everyone oiling rosewood necks? Why not play them naked? Mine feels fantastic during my daily, "The body has't shown up yet so AIRGUITARTIME!!" sessions.

Looks awesome! But I'd put the middle pickup just for the look (you can low it under the pickguard a lot...)

This rosewood is sick!!!

knucklehead G said:
What is it with everyone oiling rosewood necks? Why not play them naked? Mine feels fantastic during my daily, "The body hasn't shown up yet so AIRGUITARTIME!!" sessions.

I had bubinga/bubinga, bubinga/ebony, and bloodwood/bloodwood necks and I lemon oiled them all every 6 months or so.  I doesn't really change anything (sound/feel) - but for the very short term enhances the looks.  Not to mention...it's not bad for the wood 
icon_wink.gif

I just used Stew-Mac's fretboard oil (on a rosewood board only) and it gives a natural sheen and dries hard overnite. Surface doesnt look finished just healthy  and not dried out..might be worth a try for a whole neck?

Back