Is this knot a problem?

I’ll keep it short and sweet:
Just took delivery of my first Warmoth product. Roasted maple Tele neck. It has a knot, though, on the treble side of the back of the neck near the 5th fret. I wasn’t concerned until I noticed the difference in texture. Photo taken with a glare is to show that difference. What do you think?

Edit: To clarify, this is a showcase neck. I knew there was a dark spot, but did not expect the texture to be there.

https://imgur.com/a/16kmheb

It would not bother me, but I'm not you.  I really don't think it would upset the stability of the neck in any case.

In blind test can you feel a divet?  If you can't feel it it's knot an issue.  Looks cool.

mmm mmm, does my appearance belie my interference or is that like a cindy crawford mole, bro. #nice

Or is it more like the time i bought Quick Oats recently (for a fiber-licious breakfast) and the next day i was at todd's house and he had Instant Oats. i dont really have a problem with my quick oats, but i do #refuse to be humiliated especially by todd.

I must find a faster oat.

don't be like me.

appreciate ur lyfe and what u have

Edit: HOW DID NO ONE YET SAY "it's knot a problem lmao"

BroccoliRob said:
mmm mmm, does my appearance belie my interference or is that like a cindy crawford mole, bro. #nice

Or is it more like the time i bought Quick Oats recently (for a fiber-licious breakfast) and the next day i was at todd's house and he had Instant Oats. i dont really have a problem with my quick oats, but i do #refuse to be humiliated especially by todd.

I must find a faster oat.

don't be like me.

appreciate ur lyfe and what u have

Edit: HOW DID NO ONE YET SAY "it's knot a problem lmao"

I’ve got to admit…I have no idea what that oats bit was about, but it made me laugh, so thanks for that  :)

I was going for that pun in the title. My son groaned quite a bit when I ran it by him.

BroccoliRob said:
HOW DID NO ONE YET SAY "it's knot a problem lmao"
EnormousGloriousKite-size_restricted.gif

I don't see it as a problem. If the texture is too noticeable and it bothers you, give it a light sand to knock it back a bit, maybe even a light top coat to smooth it out.  If it doesn't bother you, leave it be.

I'm not OCD, well, not really bad OCD but to be honest, it would already be on its way back. That knot would bug me since I would be afraid it would fall out. I know it most likely won't but still . . .

I'm actually surprised they sent it out in the first place.

raystankewitz said:
I'm not OCD, well, not really bad OCD but to be honest, it would already be on its way back. That knot would bug me since I would be afraid it would fall out. I know it most likely won't but still . . .

I'm actually surprised they sent it out in the first place.

I'm picky and if I saw the dark spot on the Showcase photos I would not have bought it. If I ordered a fresh neck and it came to me with a knot in it, it would go back.  To me, that's below the standard expected for guitar necks. Don't @ me about "character" or aesthetics not being a guarantee on tone quality or structural integrity. Simply put, every time I played on it, I would instantly zone in on the knot. It would distract me. YMMV, these are my own views. As I said: I'm picky.

Pretty piece of wood, but then my Martin OM has a big old irregularity in the upper bout side of the spruce top. Can't hear it, so I don't mind it :).

That would be a deal breaker for me. I don't think I've ever seen Warmoth list something like that before.

I normally cringe when I see people whining about lack of chatoyance, and things not living up to their imaginations etc... but I'd not be happy with that on a custom order - however I might rock it if I got it out of the screaming deals section.

quoting re-Pete (As requested, not tagged)

I'm picky and if I saw the dark spot on the Showcase photos I would not have bought it. If I ordered a fresh neck and it came to me with a knot in it, it would go back.  To me, that's below the standard expected for guitar necks. Don't @ me about "character" or aesthetics not being a guarantee on tone quality or structural integrity. Simply put, every time I played on it, I would instantly zone in on the knot. It would distract me. YMMV, these are my own views. As I said: I'm picky.

The thing is, the OP saw the dark spot and purchased the neck. I'm not intending any shade here, however what else would a dark spot be besides a knot?

As for seeing it while playing, it's on the treble side? Also where the part of my hand that touches is pretty lacking in nerve endings (my Martin neck has a ding, I have no idea how I created right where my thumb sits, maybe I'll try to fill it with nitro someday, probably not).

Below, see the grain discontinuity in my OM, I probably take note of it every 4th time I glance at the guitar, doesn't bother me, and I'm sure not paying it mind when I'm playing.

Attachments

• 16430443234250.jpg
    16430443234250.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
Tbh that seem a bit subpar considering the usua quality of Warmoth parts. Maybe they are trying to put out a bit too much stuff...

Thanks for the replies! This is my first rodeo with Warmoth.

Yeah, I knew there was a spot that was probably a knot, but I didn’t expect there to be voids. It’s on me for assuming. If I had seen it at a less well-known outfit, I never wouldn’t have touched it. Learning experience.

It definitely wasn’t a “screaming deal” item—less than $20 off compared to other similar necks in the showcase now.

I’m not ticked about it or anything, but I’ve not been floored by the experience so far. I’m planning on sending it back. The rest of the neck is gorgeous, but I’m not even sure I could sand that spot. There is a bit of open grain in the skunk stripe, but I’m not sure how typical that is. 

Screaming Deals is a section of the showcase where discounted items are sold. If it was discounted, I expect you probably purchased a SD item. 

swarfrat said:
Screaming Deals is a section of the showcase where discounted items are sold. If it was discounted, I expect you probably purchased a SD item.

Sorry—I should have clarified. It wasn’t listed as discounted or marked down. I just meant that the price was within that range of current listings.  Kind of how they currently have roasted maple Tele necks listed for 232 to 257 depending on features and whatnot.

Back