Is this guy here?

He has great phrasing & tone. He has also assembled interesting guitars, not vintage clones.
Check all his clips, his playing is inspiring.

Dude lays down some excellent jazz licks.......and you gotta love the tilty head back thing he does when he quasi-rocks out (as much as you would be able to with this genre).

Hey, that's me!  :icon_thumright:

I just joined after discovering this fine group.  Anyway, I was referred to this thread and I just want to acknowledge the kind words here.

Thank you!  I look forward to reading and contributing on the forum.

Regards,
Roger

Welcome roger! Your clip convinced me a year or two ago that I should go ahead with my first warmoth project!

Thank you Tony, and Nathan - wow, that's great!  I'm very happy for you.

YouTube is the hermit's concert hall, and one never knows who is listening and to what end!  I too have had inspiration come from videos and I often feel silent gratitude to the people involved.  It's nice to come full circle and hear about it.

I'm impressed with the size of the population here and the many topics.  It's getting me inspired.  Good stuff!

Regards
Roger

rpguitar said:
Thank you Tony, and Nathan - wow, that's great!  I'm very happy for you.

YouTube is the hermit's concert hall, and one never knows who is listening and to what end!  I too have had inspiration come from videos and I often feel silent gratitude to the people involved.  It's nice to come full circle and hear about it.

I'm impressed with the size of the population here and the many topics.  It's getting me inspired.  Good stuff!

Regards
Roger

so we finally meet the you tube warmoth guy. man your videos get around. i've seen them come up on the forum and other place many times and i really like your playing.

Dimitri:

Thank you very much.  I am not worthy!  :guitaristgif:

Based on what you've heard me play, you probably realize that the headbanger icons are not a good fit for me.  We need a beret-wearing jazz cat stroking an archtop in that icon list...

Rock on brothers and sisters.  Thanks for the good vibes.  Maybe I'll build another Warmoth yet, just to have something interesting to post about...

Peace -
Roger

I just noticed that throughout most of that clip, he's got his wrist straight and his thumb near the top of the neck. I just started noticing that
I was playing in a similar way and I feel like I slipped into doing without realizing it. I also have the guitar I've been playing lately up kind of high with my strap and I feel like this kind of causes me to do this when on higher frets. I used to try and be very conscious of keeping my thumb near the middle and my wrist bent (when not doing certain leads and bends). I was a little worried about this, but it doesn't seem to be working against Roger in the video. Any thoughts on fret hand positioning?

Look up Pat Metheny on YouTube and check out his left hand positioning.  It's about as "incorrect" as you can imagine.  He wraps his thumb around the neck all the time.  Given his chops and expressiveness on the instrument, it's probably not worth correcting!

When I put my thumb in the center of the neck, it tends to make my wrist bend awkwardly inward towards my body.  But there is a detail to the thumb positioning that may not be obvious.  My thumb is pretty much always to the left of my index finger when viewed from the bass side of the neck down toward the ground.  In other words, just the way the fingers normally are positioned in relation to each other.  This is very natural feeling for me, and I guess I've always done it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvaVQZP6A_M

on this it looks like he's playing bass notes with his thumb - and he switches around a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsV7Hzu7cVc

this is song from a CD I have of his that I love.

I guess his wrist is pretty straight and his thumb is all up over the fretboard hehehe - not hurting him at all.

Gee Roger,  I love your playing.

I've been playing guitar for a fair few years.  I started off playing classical guitar as a young kid and in recent years I've been playing blues and classic rock.  Until recently I've not really been interested in the "Jazzier" (if there is such a word) side of playing but your playing is beautiful and I've got to give the style ago.

Do you have any advice on how best to get started in the genre?

I've been listening to artist similar to yourself.  I guess my best bet would be to get a few backing tracks and dive in.

Thank you for sharing your music.
Dave

Hi Dave,

Very kind words - again, I am grateful, thank you.  I stop far short of calling myself a jazz player, because real jazz guitarists have a great deal more technique and repertoire than I.  I have always used jazz as a flavoring in my playing and writing rather than an anchor, if that makes sense.  I also just don't have the patience or interest to memorize the changes to dozens of 40-60 year old tunes, however great they may be.  I am too lazy and I live more in the moment.  :toothy10:

How to get started is really like any other kind of music.  You listen a whole lot to different artists, discover branches that interest you, and explore from there. You learn some of the musical language, which is big on extended triad harmony and altered chord tones.  And of course, you practice playing what you hear in real time:  improvising.  This can be done to almost any kind of music.  For relaxation, I often do this to what some call downtempo or "chillout" music.  It's got a groove and lots of textural variety, but often simple harmonic content.

I started more with the pop and fusion sides of jazz - bands like Weather Report, Manhattan Transfer, Pat Metheny Group, Return To Forever, early Spyro Gyra, etc. - back in the middle 1980's.  Those bands had a combination of improv, jazz harmonic language, power, and groove.  I wasn't that interested in swing at that time.  So I kind of absorbed those elements and gradually, over many years, developed some sort of style.  My listening expanded to many other things, especially Brazilian music, flamenco, and smooth electronica.

I also recommend the software Band In A Box, from PG Music.  It is a great practice tool for improvising along with backing tracks.  I have a gazillion jazz standards that I've found on the net.  Mostly though, I think that if you have an ear for it and an interest, then all you need is exposure and time.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Peace -
Roger

Back