Is there anyway to tell if a neck is quatersawn?

Yes, you look at the grain pattern at the end of the heel or the headstock. If the grain is closer to being at right angles to the face of the neck rather than closer to parallel with its face then it has characteristics of being q. sawn.

Now a saw mill person may debate that you still don't know for sure because if you cut a log flatsawn there will be at at least a couple of boards that look like q. sawn although technically it is flatsawn. Pragmatically it is similar.

From the current Warmoth web site.

Maple, Quartersawn (Acer saccharum):

Quartersawn Maple is easily differentiated from Flat Sawn by its straight, parallel grain pattern. A board cut from the exact center of a quartersawn section of lumber will exhibit grain that intersects its face at a perfect 90 degree angle. This angle in subsequent boards will decrease gradually, as they are cut progessively outward towards the edge of the section. The angle on the outermost boards is about 60 degrees. Though all are considered quartersawn, Warmoth uses only the best boards - those with an angle between 75 and 90 degrees - for our quartersawn necks. Quartersawn necks are prized by builders and players for their renowned stability. They have the same bright tone and quick feel as normal Maple. A finish is required.

How do you postpics on here - its just told me ".jpeg" is no good... How do I remove the "." From my file?

I think you need to add something, anything before the '.jpeg'

To add a picture on here use the 'Attachments and other options' bit.

Ramblify said:
How do you postpics on here - its just told me ".jpeg" is no good... How do I remove the "." From my file?

Rename the file extension to .jpg - the site probably can’t recognise the .jpeg extension.

For attachments the following applies:

Allowed file types: gif, jpg, pdf, png, mp3
Restrictions: 10 per post, maximum total size 30000KB, maximum individual size 4000KB

Try renaming your .jpeg as .jpg

Thanks for that! I didnt even realise .jpg and . jpeg were different file types
Im using my iphone which as default uses .heic.

I'm looking at this neck

Attachments

• Headstock front.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 62
  • Headstock back.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 62
  • Back full 1.jpg
    Back full 1.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Back full 2.jpg
    Back full 2.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Front full.jpg
    Front full.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 131
Some headstock pics

Attachments

• Headstock back.jpg
    Headstock back.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Headstock front.jpg
    Headstock front.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 139
Its wenge. And 1 piece.

Below I will post 2 pics of MY wenge Strat neck which is quatersawn 1 piece.
Mine has a totally different grain through the headstock and the back of the neck. Pretty much dead straight lines. So, I was wondering if the other tele neck looks like a good cut of wood - Im unsure.? I searched the 'tone wood database' for pics but Im really not sure what a bad cut looks like.. or if there even is a 'bad' cut.

Attachments

• Mine headstock front.jpg
    Mine headstock front.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
  • Mine headstock back.jpg
    Mine headstock back.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 137
Ramblify said:
Thanks for that! I didnt even realise .jpg and . jpeg were different file types
Im using my iphone which as default uses .heic.

I'm looking at this neck

They are not different file types, just different extension names.

I am not sure what you are now asking the forum to provide?

If it is about the Tele neck being Q Sawn, post a picture of the end of the heel or the end of the headstock.

Need close up pic of edge heel and edge at top of headstock to see angle of wood grain

You have shown only the front and back pics of the neck (2 views in total).  We would need to see some the other 4 orientations to tell for sure.    The photo of the end of the heel or end of the headstock are usually the most clear to see the direction of the growth-rings.  The photo of the back looks like it may be flat-sawn, but it would be better to have a comparison of the other views.

rick2 said:
Need close up pic of edge heel and edge at top of headstock to see angle of wood grain
Ah! Ok, I didn't know this! Thanks. Ill ask the seller if they can photograph those bits

Ramblify said:
rick2 said:
Ah! Ok, I didn't know this! Thanks. Ill ask the seller if they can photograph those bits

This was explained to you in the first reply to this thread asking the question...

This is what you want to see:

FSQS1.jpg

You need at least 60 up to 90 degrees for 1/4 sawn.  The closer to 90 the more valuable.  Like Swarf's example above.  That's about perfect.

Looks like the grain is at a 45 degree angle or so , I wouldn’t call it quartersawn personally although it could technically be from the margins of a quartersawn log. Not that it really matters too much on wenge apart from the appearance

Back