Is there any full sized bridge humbucker that sounds close to a tele bridge pickup when coil tapped?

Joe1166

Is there any full sized bridge humbucker that sounds close to a tele bridge pickup when coil tapped?

Unless you have some of the oddball PRS pickups, you would coil SPLIT a humbucker.

Semantics aside, Tele bridge pickups are unique in that they are a large coil with a hunk of metal on the bottom surrounded by another hunk of metal for the bridge plate. All of that affects the magnetic field of the coil and affects how the pickup sounds. This makes it hard to get that sound from half of a humbucker.

I find that I can get a better coil split sound if I wire the guitar to use the coil further away from the bridge when I split them but I wouldnt call it a Tele bridge sound.

Nope, but I've found that the best non-traditional tele neck pick up is the Dimarzio 240 mini-humbucker, which when split also sounds great. Sort of straty. As a mini humbucker it's juicy. As to a humbucker that sounds like a tele bridge, that's split-able .... that's an elusive animal. I've always wanted to try one of those rio grande humbuckers, that's slanted, a tall boy twangbucker maybe (?) ... never had the chance. I'd say get those two and report back. I believe it has a bottom plate.

Last edited:
Good advice so far. The Tele bridge sound is the bottom plate and then in the bridge assembly.

You might get close with a humbucker what is splated. For that you need to go to Zhangbucker pups. He does a wind that rather than split coils, takes 1 coil and a portion of the other.

Put that in a Tele bridge for a humbucker and you might get close.

I think you would be better off wiring the bridge humbucker in parrallel, instead of coil-split. You can add a push-pull control or a toggle switch to do this. Pete Thorn has some of his guitars wired this way and probably has a demo on his youtube channel somewhere. It seems to be workable with a slightly overwound PAF style pickup, but still not the same as an actual Telecaster.

This question gave me some ideas on my next build ... the slanted tall boy in the bridge, a Lil 59 in the middle and a 240 Dimarzio mini hum in the neck. Damn, I haven't even finished modifying the case on my last build, once that's done, then I'll have to come up with a name for my one man band this summer and stencil the case. I think I'll steal Neil Young's and call myself, International Harvester.

This question gave me some ideas on my next build ... the slanted tall boy in the bridge, a Lil 59 in the middle and a 240 Dimarzio mini hum in the neck. Damn, I haven't even finished modifying the case on my last build, once that's done, then I'll have to come up with a name for my one man band this summer and stencil the case. I think I'll steal Neil Young's and call myself, International Harvester.
You have done enough builds!

It just means when I'm done with this one, I have to sadly sell or part out one. I have room for seven guitars in my life, and one will go if I want another one ... and I'm feeling that urge. I've done this about 10 times in my life, it's a good exercise to thin the herd. Once this one is done, I'll take a family picture before I kick 'em out of the house.

It just means when I'm done with this one, I have to sadly sell or part out one. I have room for seven guitars in my life, and one will go if I want another one ... and I'm feeling that urge. I've done this about 10 times in my life, it's a good exercise to thin the herd. Once this one is done, I'll take a family picture before I kick 'em out of the house.
Ya, I may need to consider clearing up some space meself!

Back