Is it normal for brand new stainless steel frets to have a scratchy feel to them

Miseria

Just about completed my build - SUPER happy with it so far.

I just strung the guitar and had it set up by my local shop. Action and intonation is perfect. The only gripe/question I have (couldn't ask when I picked up it as he wasn't there) is the frets have what I'd describe as a scratchy feel when I do vibrato or bends (worse on the bound strings). Does this mean the frets just need a good polishing?

forgot pics :)

Attachments

• IMG-0580.JPG
    IMG-0580.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG-0579.JPG
    IMG-0579.JPG
    360.8 KB · Views: 292
I find that a bit of polishing does smooth them out. That'll happen to them on their own as you play, too.

I just received a new neck with stainless steel frets and they are scratchy as compared to my older warmoth ss necks that are completely smooth. I thought warmoth might have put the incorrect fret wire on the new neck and I thought about contacting them. Can a person get a refund if warmoth used the incorrect fret wire?

Joe1166 said:
I just received a new neck with stainless steel frets and they are scratchy as compared to my older warmoth ss necks that are completely smooth. I thought warmoth might have put the incorrect fret wire on the new neck and I thought about contacting them. Can a person get a refund if warmoth used the incorrect fret wire?

Most likely but you should contact them. I do suspect that scratchy feel is because they need polishing though.

Street Avenger said:
Yep, just need polished.
You have the same bridge I have.  :kewlpics:
Rgand said:
I find that a bit of polishing does smooth them out. That'll happen to them on their own as you play, too.

What polishing method do you guys prefer? I did some searching and there seems to be conflicting advice.

On new frets like this (not dirty at all) am I better off taping the fretboard off and going with 0000 steel wool? I also have a ton of super fine sandpaper still laying around from burnishing the neck (400 - 2000 grit). Or some kind of metal polishing compound the best route?

Tape off the fretboard and use some fine papers from about 600 to 2000 grit then use some compound on a piece of shop towel or lint-free cloth.

I tend to go to 12000 grit with micro-mesh. But that might be a step too far for many people.

Steel wool I don't like as it leaves residue etc and can get attracted to pickups and the like.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22445.msg338072#msg338072

I purchased a set of 3m polishing papers that go from like 400 to 4000 then a separate 12000 micro fiber sheet. Also got some polishing compound.

I'd rather not use steel wool if I don't have to and it sounds like I don't :) I'll report back on the results.

I totally understand that I could just play it and it would break in but it has a tactile feel right now that I really don't care for.

Thanks all!

With stainless steel, if the frets feel rough it's gonna take a while to 'polish' them just by playing/bending strings. Maybe it'll get there, eventually, but you're not going to get a very enjoyable playing feel in the meantime.
The difference in feel when they are perfectly polished is considerable, strings glide effortlessly.

For stainless steel I normally use a fret crowing tool + sandpaper or micro mesh.
Go finer and finer, don't try to go too fast ( like 800->2000 grit) or they will feel slightly scratchy. I was a bit in a rush for one of my recent builds and it doesn't feel 100% right, I'll have to spend time re-doing it at the next string change.

For the final polishing I use a Dremel with mini buffing wheel. Prior to that I kept using the fret crowning tool + polishing cloth but that gets a little hard on your wrist.

Guess I never had a problem then.  They always feel a little grippy at the beginning, but then it goes  away.

Come to think of it though I do generally level the frets or at the very least roll the fingerboard edges. So either way the polishing / sanding step is absolutely necessary in that case.

Good to know I could get away with it if I were using a them as is.

docteurseb said:
With stainless steel, if the frets feel rough it's gonna take a while to 'polish' them just by playing/bending strings. Maybe it'll get there, eventually, but you're not going to get a very enjoyable playing feel in the meantime...

A matter of taste I would say. I'm guessing I'm in the minority here but I actually like frets that are a little "scratchy". They make the guitar sound better and more alive, more bite to the tone.
With the frets all shiny and buffed - like you get after playing - the sound becomes a little more dull. Instead of zing, zing, it's ding, ding ... :icon_jokercolor:

YMMV and all that

Logrinn said:
With the frets all shiny and buffed - like you get after playing - the sound becomes a little more dull. Instead of zing, zing, it's ding, ding ... :icon_jokercolor:

YMMV and all that

Sure that's not the strings that are now worn out  ???

Back