Is DIY finishing "worth it' for a noob?

ddd

I'm new to the DYI guitar hobby...and I'm looking for some advice (thanks in advance!!!) on finishing a body myself or just paying the $200 to Warmoth to do it! (seems pretty steep!)...

About me: for years I've done pickup/pickguard replacements on the Fender guitars I've owned and last year I modded a couple Boss pedals (Keeley mods on a Boss DS-1 and SD-1) that gave me the confidence to do a couple BYOC pedals (Chorus and British Overdrive) - both turned out great! I really enjoyed both the building *and* the  "decorating" process (I did inkjet decals over white paint with clearcoats). Here's one:

http://www.byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51165

Anyhow, now I'm looking to do a full Warmoth build (Jazzmaster 12-string) - I'm really intrigued by the idea of doing the body and neck finish myself (with Reranch or similar products), but I'm also a bit intimidated by all the work (spraying, waiting, sanding, repeating...) and many of the threads I've read basically say you "develop a feel for it" after you do many bodies -- not sure I have the patience (or budget!) for that!!

So lets say I'm not trying to win "Guitar of the month" but I want a solid finish that's at least as good as a MIM Strat Standard. Can a novice/noob get to that level without losing the few hairs I have left? If so,  is there a basic "recipe" that I can follow to get there?

Thanks!!

DDD

Pay Warmoth. It's a bargain and a half. Unless you want something they absolutely won't do, there's no way to beat that deal.

If you don’t have it all, price the material and equipment you’ll need.  Then determine how many guitars you’ll realistically finish and factor in the learning curve to decide if you will get a return on your investment.  $200 may turn out to be a bargain.

If you want something that is pretty much what Warmoth offers as a finish, GET THEM TO DO IT!

Now, if you want something completely wacked out (like what I usually want), then you'll need to do it yourself.

Neo Fender said:
If you don’t have it all, price the material and equipment you’ll need... $200 may turn out to be a bargain.

Thanks all for the input!! The above is sort my gut feel (plus adding "time" and perhaps "frustration"). Even if I did it perfect, I can't see doing more than handfull of guitar bodies -- I think the "intrigue" is saving ~$300 ($200 for the body and $100 for the neck). I may still give the neck a shot since it seems to be much simpler...

Thanks again!!

You can do it, I did it. You need loads of patience though and not to try and rush it. There are also a few definitely don'ts that someone like me can give you. I have just started on my second and I learned so much doing the first one. Whilst it is not perfect (I am quite picky), it is definitely nice and something I'm quite proud of. That said, when my second is out of the way I do intend refinishing the body on my first (just a couple more coats and another polish. There are some pinholes in the lacquer which appeared because I decided to do a spray even though it was raining outside and there was a lot of moisture in the air. Don't do it! I would also urge anyone to not try and pick out a tiny fly caught in a coat of lacquer! It resulted in me completely rubbing down and starting again.

Apart from that, do loads and loads of watching Youtube videos. You can easily tell the good ones from the bad. Some are very bad!

In my opinion - if you want a paint job done right, and you dont have the patience to get some practice in.....then its probably best to just get Warmoth to finish it.

The area where I would advise to DIY is if you want a natural oil finish (Tru-oil, Danish etc). For under $20-30 you can have a good oil or wax finish, which just takes a bit of patience to put on the gradual layers.

Indeed, a diy tru oil finish is easy just takes time.  A t burst finish have big w do it. Wha do you have in mind?

For a solid finish, I wouldn't even think about doing it myself when Warmoth will do it for such a fair price. It isn't worth the trouble to do yourself unless you have a great deal of patience, and interest in finishing many bodies.

To me it is always worth it to do it your self.But you must be ready to give it your best and take your time when you do.What I am trying to find out does anyone know if they make a hunter green stain if so where can I order it from.Never mind I found the hunter green in a minwax finish online now I have to find it in a store here lol.But now I know what color my Telecaster will be I can't wait to get the stain then the Telecaster body so I can start to work on it come on summer.

Do it because you want to or you have a concept that isn't on Warmoth (or anyone elses) menu.

Doing a finish is a ton of work. A couple hundred bucks is extremely cheap for the level of quality finishes I have purchased from Warmoth.

I did (part of) a custom dye job - just cause no one was doing what I wanted and I had a new concept I wanted to try. Otherwise, I'd have paid someone else.

Back