intonated bass nut

Shmoopie

where can i learn how to intonate a nut,

and is there any thing i should know as to intonating a bass nut.

I'm moding a graphite precut nut from wdmusic dot com

are you having intonation problems between an open string and the first fret? is this nut for a Buzz F tuning system?

unless you answer 'yes' to one of these questions, you should be looking to intonate your bass utilizing the saddles on your bridge

all the best,

R

I read that the music man bongo bass used an intonated nut, i looked all over for them.

after not finding one i decided to try and make one to see what it was like.  if I'm replacing, a nut, might as well try it.

dur, i also for got to mention, im talkin about an acoustic bass, my intonation was off after replacing the bridge bone. im thinking of getting a tusk blank for it. and as i was looking at nut blanks i thought why not try it on the graphite nut im getting for my peavey.

simply described, intonation is a compensation to account for what happens to string pitch when you press down on a string. if you were to compensate at the nut, all of your work will only impact an open string (which does not need to be intonated, as you simply adjust the tuner until it is in pitch.) as soon as you fret any note, your intonated nut will no longer have any impact on the string's tuning, and your pitch will be off by as much as the compensation adjustment is off

all the best,

R

well geez, crush all my hopes and dreams at once why don't ya. 

and ernie ball says they do it to solve intonation problems on lower frets. problems caused by frets that are slightly off

This is starting to look like an abbot & costello skit

I think what shmoopie is refering to is the earvana nut, sounds like he also needs the bridge recarved or whatever they do for an acustic bone bridge.

I have yet to try an earvana nut, But I an thinking outloud, you gotta install that earvana nut prior to setting intonation at the bridge. If this is the case,  would be more important because of the lack of adjustment on something carved. 

shmoopie hope that helped , take your guitar to someone to fix

CD said:
How do you explain the Earvana compensated nut then?

never heard of it until now ... and outside of an image of the inventor playing has bass, I could find no bass products listed on their website. looks to be a mostly 'guitarist' thing from what I have seen in my limited searching this afternoon

research time for something new  :glasses9:

all the best,

R

well this hasn't helped any, so i still want to try it, but i seem to be lacking some info, so instead of having Mr. funk here rain on my parade i think i will go do some research. 

wow, i just found what i was looking for, in only 10 seconds.  next time ill look before i ask some one who just now heard of it.  :icon_tongue:
but none the less thanks for the help i guess.  but i still need a band aid for my hopes and dreams.

sure would have helped if you had made mention of this being an Earvana style nut in your first post, eh? FWIW this is not a common style of nut, even on electric acoustic basses or uprights. o well, my bad for attempting to help out.

wish you all the best on your project. outta here ...

R

im just givin you a hard time, its more fun that way, but i think im going to try and find a bongo bass and copy that nut, it the same scale length, so the intonation should be relatively close.    :rock-on:

I wasn't sure if Earvana made nuts for the bass, but somebody here had one made of brass for their guitar by a custom luthier if I remember correct. I don't imagine it would be hard to make one yourself for your bass if you put the elbow grease into it.

i like your thinking. they don't make a bass nut, and that guy with a brass one took his nut to a machinist and had them make it out of brass. 
but im thinkin ill find a eb bongo bass, and measure that nut. simple as pie, but now i gotta find a bongo bass, that'll be fun.

SkuttleFunk said:
simply described, intonation is a compensation to account for what happens to string pitch when you press down on a string. if you were to compensate at the nut, all of your work will only impact an open string (which does not need to be intonated, as you simply adjust the tuner until it is in pitch.) as soon as you fret any note, your intonated nut will no longer have any impact on the string's tuning, and your pitch will be off by as much as the compensation adjustment is off

all the best,

R

A compensated nut affects string tension and therefore intonation when notes are fretted. The Earvana and Ernie Ball nuts actually do work and there is a measurable improvement with intonation outside of the open strings.

Back