Incoming UPS Notification

stratamania

A pleasant surprise today an email from UPS to say a neck and some parts are arriving tomorrow. At first I thought it was a order has shipped but no it is here in Europe...

I already have the body for some time now and a good deal of the rest of the parts. So are you folks up for another build thread or do you want to wait to see it when it is finished ?

S

swarfrat

You need to ask? Tree house pics are also acceptable.

stratamania

Okay will set one up.

The order was split in two and the UPS guy arrived today with a cardboard envelope with a couple of pickguards and a backplate...anyway the customs fee is paid but don't know when the neck is going to arrive. It might be tomorrow or possibly Monday...

Verne Bunsen

stratamania said:
So are you folks up for another build thread or do you want to wait to see it when it is finished ?

Geez, ANOTHER build thread? With MORE pictures of making guitars? Yes please!  :headbang:

stratamania

A set back. I have an RMA for the neck...I really could do without having to do so but there we are.

stratamania

Although I know the address this song will do...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU5xxh5UX4U[/youtube]

stratamania

After seeing the neck on my desk and not yet having gone to the post office etc due to snow and ice etc...I came to the conclusion that I would just tweak and fix the neck myself.

Anyway as a taster for the build thread here is a Warmoth pic of the neck from the showcase.

SN_MAHOGANY by stratamania, on Flickr

stratamania

Mayfly said:
Nice! 

er, what was wrong with the neck?

Yes too nice to risk it getting lost in shipping etc.

It is a clear gloss finish and thickly applied. This means that it will not go into the neck pocket of the body - actually I have three Warmoth bodies here to test against and it will not go into any of them where other Warmoth necks do as expected. So I am hoping that I can carefully take the finish down without cutting through it and that it will fit. If not I will have some touch up to the finish to do.(the alternate would be easing the neck pocket but as those are to spec I prefer to sort the neck out)

Also the nut is not as accurately placed as I would prefer with the low E further from the fretboard than it should be and the high E closer than would be expected. The spacing other than that is correct but it is somewhere around 1 - 2 mm off centre.

I have also noticed a bump in the finish near the tip of the headstock on the edge again I am hoping that will sand/buff out.

Somewhat ironically I was almost going to buy a Q-Sawn Mahogany without a finish or frets and do that work myself. But I liked the figure in this one that had popped up in the showcase it was already finished and fretted with a nut fitted so I thought it might save me some time. Still it is all part of a project when all is said and done... :)