imbuia : why no description in neck woods?

Steve_Karl

imbuia : why no description in neck woods?

They're selling it in the showcase.
I think we need to have it added to the neck woods description page!

Just because you see it in the showcase doesn't mean it's a wood they normally offer.
It may be that Warmoth got a shipment of Imbuia that they felt was suitable for necks, so they made some showcase necks with it.

Sure. But they expect to sell it with no tone description?
For all I know it could be as bright as ebony or warm as mahogany feel like wax or clean dry and slick.

back2thefutre said:
Google it.

That's not going to give me Warmoth's evaluation of the tonal properties of the wood.

I'll just have to assume they're not really that interested in selling necks made of that wood.

... or ... it could be the most fantastic tone wood in the world. But they won't kiss and tell.  :icon_jokercolor:

I think the unusual woods (imbuia, cheery, teak, etc.) might be such low volume that they don't have enough of a track record to come up with a reasonable description.

drewfx said:
I think the unusual woods (imbuia, cheery, teak, etc.) might be such low volume that they don't have enough of a track record to come up with a reasonable description.
Right you are sir! Our official wood descriptions are based on years of working with, and selling a significant volume of necks and bodies out of that wood. We can make a decent guess on other woods by observing the cell structure and oiliness of a species, but it's still a guess.

From the Taylor website:

Phoebe porosa
Imbuia is a dark, exotic wood that grows in southern Brazil, where it frequently is used in making high-end furniture and cabinetry (because of its physical characteristics and appearance, it has been called "Brazilian walnut," but it's not a genuine walnut). Imbuia is a hard, dense wood, so it produces a relatively tight, bright, "direct" tone that lends itself to amplification. It offers good tonal separation from string to string, while retaining plenty of the essential bass "thump."

Hmm, that gives an indication of its sound, but what does it feel like? The examples in the showcase look fairly matte compared to other exotic woods...

From what I've been reading (I've been thinking a lot about these imbuia showcase necks), the feel should be similar to walnut if you leave it unfinished... but of course, the feel will depend on your finish.

shan564 said:
From what I've been reading (I've been thinking a lot about these imbuia showcase necks), the feel should be similar to walnut if you leave it unfinished... but of course, the feel will depend on your finish.

NO ONE better be putting finishes on raw exotics! :tard:

line6man said:
shan564 said:

NO ONE better be putting finishes on raw exotics! :tard:

Gloss black ftw!    :icon_jokercolor:

Back