I'm gonna shoot me a Monkey!

Tonar8352

A Blue Monkey that is, and I'm going to use lacquer to do it. I have longed to get my hand's on one of Great Ape's pieces for a while and thanks to Black Dog he has given me the opportunity. He told me something was headed my way and I only needed to shoot it with clear and then do one of my hand rubbed finishes on the neck so I had no idea when I opened the box what would come flying out but here it is. Yeeeeessssss I'm stoked.
IMG_0166_zps9jdl325z.jpg

IMG_0167_zpsrrmudwko.jpg

IMG_0168_zps2fm3hoxs.jpg

And of course what is a guitar for Bart with out some fancy flame on the neck.
IMG_0171_zpswii2rbre.jpg

It's going to look even better with the Tonar Treatment! Looking forward to following this thread.

Tonar8353 said:
I have longed to get my hand's on one of Great Ape's pieces for a while and thanks to Black Dog he has given me the opportunity. He told me something was headed my way and I only needed to shoot it with clear and then do one of my hand rubbed finishes on the neck so I had no idea when I opened the box what would come flying out but here it is. Yeeeeessssss I'm stoked.

I remember feeling that way when I got one of your pieces here to work on here. It was a Fiesta Red Jaguar, about 3-4 years ago? Nice to get to work with a legend. I'm hoping to get one of those Blue Monkeys one of these days, too. That one is spectacular - I can't wait to see it finished.

Looks great! Outstanding work. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Black Dog said:
I liiiiiiiike it.........
Looks great so far you teaser :hello2:
:rock-on:
Reminds my of the guy who asked a hooker what he could get for $5.

:laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7:

When ever I do something for the first time it make me a nervous wreck. I have never wet sanded and rubbed out a Blue Monkey so I was really concerned about potentially burning through the lacquer on the edges of the wood burned channels.  So I took the wet sanding slow and easy and it is turning great.
Nice and flat on all the high un-burned wood after wet sanding with 1000 and 2000.
IMG_0263_zpszyrrmre3.jpg

And after some initial polishing the sheen is coming up nicely with out any burn through.
IMG_0266_zpsqcpec4az.jpg

Hard to get a picture of this but here it is polished up.
IMG_0272_zps6dm6ayoo.jpg

You know, I don't think I've seen Mr. Ape do a Telecaster before.  That's a right beauty.  The yellow roses are sublime.  The overall composition is gorgeous.  And of course, one can stare into a clearcoat applied by you, Tonar, for hours.

Back