ideal tonal wood

Orpheo said:
I just want to reconfirm the status which walnut has in my book. I have an all walnut guitar, with an ebony board...damn, thats great. the versatility of alder, the smoothness and warmth of mahogany, the midrange grit and grind of korina, the bite tightness and punch of maple. walnut for the win!

Makes me feel really anxious about my walnut thinline with rosewood neck that should be on its way any week now...

callaway said:
Orpheo said:
I just want to reconfirm the status which walnut has in my book. I have an all walnut guitar, with an ebony board...damn, thats great. the versatility of alder, the smoothness and warmth of mahogany, the midrange grit and grind of korina, the bite tightness and punch of maple. walnut for the win!

Makes me feel really anxious about my walnut thinline with rosewood neck that should be on its way any week now...

ah, a thinline! that should give you a more sweet sound, less pronounced highs (due to being semihollow) and the RW-neck will take up a bit of highs too, but still, it will have a very uhm... pressing sound. it's still like a kick in the face. paired with not too hot humbuckers, or p90's, you're sound will BURN.

Orpheo said:
ah, a thinline! that should give you a more sweet sound, less pronounced highs (due to being semihollow) and the RW-neck will take up a bit of highs too, but still, it will have a very uhm... pressing sound. it's still like a kick in the face. paired with not too hot humbuckers, or p90's, you're sound will BURN.

My plans right now are for a SD Jazz in the neck and a Barden Tele bridge. I really like lots of midrange, yet with high end brilliance and definition. I don't know if the rosewood neck will take away too much of that or not, but I really like all my rosewood fingerboard guitars. I feel like rosewood has a full, brilliant top end, so I'm just hoping for more of that. Any low end I like to be tight and punchy. Of course the growly midrange is always a plus. I hope that with these 2 pickups and simple volume and tone controls I'll be able to go from clean jazz chord comping to leads to classic rock to funky nasty blues. I don't know... it's my great experiment! If all else fails, then I guess I'll have to get a new neck for the thinline (goncalo/pau ferro) and get a new body for the rosewood neck (korina). Either way, I guess I'm in a good situation! (Well, except for the expenditure of money.)

Okay, this brings the thread full circle. I will have both humbucker and single coil (okay, well single-coil voiced humbuckers, but those Barden's are amazing!) in a single guitar, although probably reversed from the traditional spot they might be placed. I'd say 99% of mixed-pickup guitars put the HB in the bridge.

There's a few teles here with a neck humbucker and a bridge single. Mine's got it. Or it will when the humbucker arrives in the mail.

Max said:
There's a few teles here with a neck humbucker and a bridge single. Mine's got it. Or it will when the humbucker arrives in the mail.

Right. That's the only guitar I can think of where you might see it on a regular model. I can't think of another guitar that has a single coil bridge and humbucker neck. (Of course excluding what anyone might have done custom using Warmoth parts, etc.)

Coincidentally, the humbucker-necked Tele was the result of many people (such as Keith Richards, I believe) getting a tech to gouge out their neck pickup cavity to cram a humbucker in there. Then eventually Fender decided to make the Tele Custom.

the regular bridge pickup produces the trademark tele twang right?

so if one wants the twang and also wants a humbucker (where many seem to prefer the warm/fat humbucker in the neck), so the choice of a humbucker in the neck and single coil in the bridge.

atleast that's my understanding about the versatility of such a configuration - which i myself desire.

the great albert collins's tele was configured like that.

>I just want to reconfirm the status which walnut has in my book. I have an all walnut guitar, with an ebony board...damn, thats great. the >versatility of alder, the smoothness and warmth of mahogany, the midrange grit and grind of korina, the bite tightness and punch of maple. >walnut for the win!

makes the old gibson firebrands that much more desirable then.

Back