I received a weird question on a guitar I'm selling on ebay...

nathan a

What do you guys make of this? I think the person is legitimate...

The person asks:

"hi, I receive the products in my address in Doral FL U.S.. but my paypal account is from another country. I want to know if you authorized me to bid for your item. I will be paying in USD.
please see my feedback.
thanks

- saxmania.76"

Their feedback checks out, 449 ratings, 100% positive. It just seems like a potentially sketchy question. Whaddaya think?

449 ratings, 100% positive? I don't think it would be much problem... I think it can be a guy that receives it to a guy in the "another country" and send it with the price on the box changed to that 2nd guy avoid duties... just a idea (I would like a guy in USA to send me things that way :laughing7: )

Even more with paypal, that I think you have some insurance, right?

I have received scam bids from Florida before and also overseas.  That's not to say that this one is but in my mind it is raising some flags. I would get the money out of pay pal before shipping then get a signature for delivery. Take lots of pics of the item and box before shipping. Caveat venditor Let the seller beware.

edit * There is no reason why he shouldn't answer any questions you may have regarding the terms.

Good luck, I hope you get good bids!

Well, that's not to say his account hasn't been hacked.

Look at the feedback profile - where did he get his feedback from? Buying cheap $1 items, or high-end instruments?

I don't know...that e-mail raises every red flag around in my mind.

Dodgy, who knows what kind of scam he's talking about. I would not even bother with this dude at all. If it smells fishy on the Bay, stay far away.

One thing that raises a red flag for me would be the fact that he calls it "your item". If he was more specific I'd be less suspicious. That's just me.

roboboss said:
One thing that raises a red flag for me would be the fact that he calls it "your item". If he was more specific I'd be less suspicious. That's just me.

Good call. That little detail really does make it seem much sketchier.

Anyways, I've decided to ignore this person, the guitar has already been bid up over what I paid for it!

I would say "I will ship after your payment clears the bank, no personal checks, no money orders."  If they have a problem with that, they are doing something shady.

Back