I need a Jazzmaster rout on the standard Tele body

Chris of Arabia

I can't think why it wouldn't be feasible. Wouldn't it be a quick cut and paste from one body style to another? I know there my be a little more to it than that, but it would be a nice option to have. Pretty please?

I did send an email and got this back as a response...

Sorry, but we cannot do that pickup rout on the Tele body.

I'm not sure whether that's a technical "not possible" response, or just that it's not a selectable part of the body builder.

squier+telecaster+jaguar+guitarz.jpg

Seems feasible to me, especially without having to do the tailed bridge.

Yep, that's what I was looking for. I was planning on one of the Gotoh 501 wrap-around bridges and a scratchplate free top, but that's more or less it. Where did that body come from out of interest?

Chris of Arabia said:
Yep, that's what I was looking for. I was planning on one of the Gotoh 501 wrap-around bridges and a scratchplate free top, but that's more or less it. Where did that body come from out of interest?

That's just some random image I found on Google Images. Seems like they just did a re-rout.

Tipperman said:
Chris of Arabia said:

That's just some random image I found on Google Images. Seems like they just did a re-rout.

Yeah, I didn't notice the chasm between the bridge and the back pick-up when I looked at it first - perhaps not a professional job. I'd like to think Warmoth could do a much better job - hint, hint...

If one were so inclined, a proper template along with a bookmatched top would make the center point easy enough to find DYI.  Or find a Will Ray body on CL or EBay.

You might check with Mark Rutters about this kind of thing if W won't do it. I haven't used him but his work gets good reviews elsewhere.

At the moment, I'm thinking I could order a body from W, minus the pickup routs, then do rest of the job myself. I've got all the tools I'd need, even if I end up needing to create the templates too.

I'm still not clear on what you're trying to accomplish. I'm thinking you want to put P90s on a Tele. If that's the case, you could just have them route the body for traditional humbuckers and buy some Dream 90s or Dream 180s from GFS. They fit in the standard hole, look good, and supposedly sound good. I've not tried a set yet, but everything else I've gotten from them has been remarkably good.

Actually, I do really want Jazzmaster pickups on a Tele body, and not P90's. I really like the sound Gavin Rossdale gets on 'Golden State', and as the Tele and Jazzmaster share scale length, I thought it would make an interesting variation, as I'm not keen on the Jazzmaster body shape. It might turn out like crap, but have I failed you before...  :icon_biggrin:

I'm not going to try to talk you out of doing something you want to do, but you do have to consider that sometimes the reason an artist sounds the way they do is because they're an artist with special skills. For example, if Brian May gave me his original Red Special and his Vox amps, I still wouldn't sound like him. Not even close. The guy's got a touch. Same with any other artist. I could walk on stage at Cobo Hall and grab Jeff Beck's guitar already plugged in and sound checked, and I wouldn't sound anything like him. Not in a million years. How about SRV's slobbery sweat-soaked beat-to-shit Strat? Think I could sound like him if I had that and a wall of Fender amps? Not a chance. Nobody could. Hell, I probably couldn't even sound like ME with that gear, assuming I would even touch the stuff.

So, don't get too hung up on pickups or body styles. Be yourself and get a guitar that you're comfy with. You'll be happier, and so will everybody listening to you.

If you get the jazzmaster route and don't like it afterwards, Seymour Duncan makes a humbucker in a JM & Lindy Fralin has a no-hum P90 for JM.

I'm not going to try to talk you out of doing something you want to do, but you do have to consider that sometimes the reason an artist sounds the way they do is because they're an artist with special skills.

Cagey, you're trying to make sense again - we've warned you about that! If people didn't get the squirms on a repeated basis, there'd BE no Warmoth to supply you or me when we want to build something entirely sensible and not at all self-indulgent. Like ummm, like.... ummm.... well, you know. We could all just twank our Squiers along to the brilliant artistry on AM radio and Clear Channel TV and not be all like, building weird guitars and shit. Did you happen to catch the country music tribute to Lionel Richie? Dagnab, me either.

I tried listening to some Bush and if there's anything I can identify, it's single-coil pickups into some kind of Vox-derived amp driven really hard. I'd guess a Dr. Z or some kind of modern upgraded Vox - but any ol' Strat or Tele or P90 pickup could do that with some pre-amplifier EQ weaking, probably a booster of some kind. If you want to specifically build a guitar with the Jazzmaster pickups, you might as well - but I tend to agree with the other posters that you may plug it in, and it's not going to sound much like Gavin Rossdale without the rest of his rig. In the videos I didn't even see a Jazzmaster? If you go with a more standardized pickup rout, for which more pickups are available, you can try more different things. I'd first try to find out his amp.

Razorblade Suitcase gear:

Gavin Rossdale:
Guitars: Fender Stratocasters and Jazzmasters.
Amps: Three Mesa/Boogie Trem-O-Verbs, two 4x12 Mesa/Boogie cabinets.
Effects: (2) Bixonic Expandoras, Mu-Tron pitch shifter.
Strings: Ernie Ball, .010 to .046.

Nigel Pulsford:
Guitars: Four Fender Stratocasters (one '63 and three '89s).
1958 Gibson Les Paul Junior.
Amps: Fender Princeton, Mesa/Boogie Heartbreaker, Trem-O-Verb and Blue Angel through Mesa/Boogie 2-90 power amp into three Mesa-Boogie 4x12 cabinets.
Effects: Fulltone 69 and DejaVibe, Boss Delay, pitch shifter, and
Turbo Overdrive, Prescription Electronics Yardbox and Experience,
Bixonic Expandora, TC Electric M2000, CAE Super Tremolo, Mu-Tron
flanger and octave pedals, Morley wah/volume pedal.
Switching System: Custom Audio Electronics RSB.
Strings: Ernie Ball, .010 to .046

If it wasn't obvious, they were sponsored by Mesa/Boogie.
Gavins Jazzmaster had Seymour Duncan Alnico II pups during that era.
IMG_1739.jpg

rossdale.jpg

I now noticed that this isn't the album sound for which you were looking (oops!)
Here's his current gear: http://bush-music.com/gavin-rossdale/gavin-rossdale-gear-list/

Back