I may be a one of a kind !

1jimbo

I think I may the only one here that has a DiMarzio FRED in the bridge of my Warmoth. Am I the only one thats ever given it a try. :headbang1: 

I have one in the bridge of my MIM Strat with a W neck and I like it.   I'm just hating the Air Norton-S I put in the neck.  Too boomy.

Please let us know what it sounds like & what kind of woods you use.

My mahogany strat is too bassy & boomy & I was thinking of a PAF type PU that is tighter & has more clarity & supposedly the Fred is just that.

I have mine in a chambered mahogany hardtail strat with a quilted maple top, maple neck with pau ferro fingerboard. I dont really know how to describe this one......... It's very different from most humbuckers. I love the sound for rock,hard rock and clean but its not good at everything. Its not so good with texas blues. Its GREAT at lead, you can get some GREAT sounds out of this thing if you are good with a pick.

How does it sound for over all tightness & clarity, espcially in the bottom end? My chambered mahogany strat, koa top, mahogany neck is very bassy & boomy, so I'm looking for an even sounding PU that is tight & clear & cuts through with some nice harmonic overtones.

I guess Im not very good at telling people what a pickup sounds like but when I want a tight clean sound I feel the need to pickup a Tele  :guitaristgif: The FRED is cheap, the best thing is to try it. Joe Satriani played it in his Surfing with the Alien albam (I think) try youtube. Sorry Im not very helpful. :doh:

For me FRED sounded pretty weak on a basswood Ibanez Prestige. Great harmonics but that's pretty much all.

Back