I feel like I'm bothering when I ask.. Good mate for an AT-1?

KaiserSoze

Mahogany rear routed strat, mahogany neck/maple fretboard, Wilkinson trem, SD '59 neck humbucker.

I am leaning toward a Dimarzio Andy Timmons bridge humbucker, but wonder if the '59 is a good mate for it in the neck.

I love the '59 but am willing to change it if it will be too overpowered by the Dimarzio.  If it matters I am going for the best guitar sound in the history of all mankind, (but tend to play blues/classic rock styles and like some nice cleans too.)

Thank you for all you do.

Attachments

• Strat body.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 357
unless you're playing with really unsaturated clean tones, i don't think you'll have volume issues that you couldn't rectify by adjusting pickup height. Worst case scenario, DiMarzio has a 30-day exchange policy so you can just trade the AT-1 for something cleaner if you really want to.

Don't have a clue about your pickup conundrum, but that there strat body is one sexy hunk of mo-hog. 

Thank you.  Thats an impulse buy from the showcase.  Took a dremel and some sandpaper to it and then a lot of tung oil with required sanding.  Totally 3D  in person.  I loved the way it turned out and am anxious to finish it.

I use a Dimarzio pro track (basically a warm sounding PAF) in the neck position with an AT-1 in the bridge of my poplar strat w/ maple neck. The combination works pretty well. I did have to play with the pickup heights a tiny bit, but nothing that I wouldn't expect to have to do anyways.

I can say that I love the AT-1. It's a perfect tight bridge pickup that cleans up well. My favorite thing to do with it is turn the gain up and roll the tone knob all the way off. I used to hate all bridge pickups. Not anymore.

The Duncan Jazz actually sounds better in the neck position of a mahogany body than the '59. The AT-1 should sound good at the bridge.

+1 on the mo-hog.
I've seen a cocobollo firebird, and even a Gonçalo Alves top on a strat in that showcase. I'm all about the natural wood.

Ha ha! Best guitar tone in the history of mankind?
I am not one to ask, but it might help if you listed some particular players/albums/songs, or it might not.

Hello KaiserSoze,

wow, your Strat body looks sooooooooo awesome. I'm diggin' it, really.
Hope you enjoy the forum, welcome. Must have missed your introduction......sorry.

Bye  JULIA

If you like the 59, stick with it.  You can always back off the bridge pickup height, or give them separate volume controls.

Back