Closed: HH - strat like neck pickup

bonesofwrath

Looking for a noiseless strat like neck pickup for an HH guitar. It has EMG Hot 70's in there now (which are ok I suppose for what they do, but it's not my thing).
I'm thinking about a SD/JB or maybe even a 59 on the bridge, and looking for a humbucker shaped object which is noiseless and does clean / barest hint of bark well, with some stratty vibes to it.

I'm fine with a humbucker wired in parallel, but even though people do it, I can't find a ton recorded or written about the pairing and results. I'm not sure if a 59/Jazz or other 8k-ish humbucker is going to be the right idea if its in parallel. I'm also perfectly okay with non-botique pickups (but I'm about sick to death of trolling youtube for 'clean' sounds that would've required the services of Jose Arredondo in 1980. Really people, do you not know what 'clean' means?)

Going in a Schecter SVSS if it matters, but I'm an 80's rocker and not a post Y2K metalhead. It does have a floyd.

You should listen to some YouTube videos for a railhammer humcutter neuovo 90.

After some mulling it over... a GFS Memphis would be perfect but... I have this pickup in two different guitars already and I want something different. The railhammers sound cool but I'm sort of leaning towards a not too flabby, crisp but sweet humbucker now.I've somehow got Youtube feeding me Mike Stamper's videos exclusively, and I'm at the point I want to hurl. Heck maybe I just need a pair of bone stock PAF clones or something like an SH-2n in the neck.

A couple of suggestions for passive and also for active EMGs or Fishmans:
  • Passive
    • Joe Barden Two-Tone
    • Kinman Converge-3
    • Fralin Unbucker
  • Active
    • EMG Dual Mode such as 89XR or EMG89R
    • Fishman Fluence Classic 6
Links below.

Passive
Active
EMG Dual Mode
EMG Dual Mode X series

Last edited:
Also in the "you'd never know by google" file ... Bill Lawrence made other pickups besides the L500XL.. Good luck finding evidence though

Frailin/Lollar/anything more exotic than Duncan/DiMarzio/Lawrence is out. Not spending $600 in pickups for this guitar.

Also in the "you'd never know by google" file ... Bill Lawrence made other pickups besides the L500XL.. Good luck finding evidence though

Bill Lawrence pickups produced by his wife and daughter. L500s available in C, R, L and XL. I particularly like the L. And of course various other pickups and information.

Frailin/Lollar/anything more exotic than Duncan/DiMarzio/Lawrence is out. Not spending $600 in pickups for this guitar.
Your post seems to indicate you’re looking for one humbucker for the neck position. Fralin and Lollar pickups are around $150-200 new each and I’ve snagged some for as low as $120 used. Sure, still fairly expensive, but I have no idea where you’re getting $600 from.

I didn't spell it out but I did say I have EMG's and I'm going passive. That means all new electronics. Several botique pickup makers are $300+ and the internet, particularly those spending other peoples money seems particularly enamored with them.

Do you want sing-coil "ish" tone? Or humbucker tone?
The SH-2 and DP-156 are just low-output humbuckers with extra treble and very little bass. They sound nothing like single-coils.
They sound good in the neck position of Les Paul (and similar 24-3/4" scale) guitars. Too thin & bright in typical 25-1/2" scale guitars with a Floyd Rose.

If want single-coil "ish" tone from a pickup that fits in a full-size humbucker route (along with the noise camcelling), a medium-output humbucker with parallel wiring is the way to go. Or you could just ignore my advice like most people do.

I didn't spell it out but I did say I have EMG's and I'm going passive. That means all new electronics. Several botique pickup makers re $300+ and the internet, particularly those spending other peoples money seems particularly enamored with them.

No one is spending your money, but people's time is valuable, which I am sure you do not wish them to spend needlessly providing answers out of your wheelhouse. So, it would help when asking for recommendations to “spell out” these things, such as budget, and that you have ruled out EMGs and actives altogether.

Bill Lawrence pickups produced by his wife and daughter. L500s available in C, R, L and XL. I particularly like the L. And of course various other pickups and information.
I have a Warmoth custom body and neck order that might be ready by mid to late October. It involves a 7/8 Strat body with a two humbucker setup. I too, wanted to go with a different brand of pickups that I’m used to. I got sucked into the Bill and Becky Lawrence pickup bandwagon. I ordered, and have already received, the L500R and the L500L. I’m betting the future guitar is going to sound pretty nice!

Back