I Feel Like I Won The Lottery!! 7/8 Strat Body + 24.0" Neck [Images]

Ninja00151

I first got the neck and gawked at how perfect it was. I measured the nut width and the first fret/12th fret neck depth with a digital caliper, and the neck measured exactly true to spec... to the thousandths. The Stainless Steel Frets are perfectly seated and zero rock with a fret rocker up to the 12th fret. The frets that do rock are so close that I can't see the movement. An interesting note is that the center of balance is right at the 7th fret on this neck.The real kicker was that the stamped neck number (custom orders) just happened to have all three of my lucky numbers...

I really wanted a DARK rosewood fretboard, so I did a little research before the neck came, and read that linseed oil darkens with time. Im a fan of the all natural route, and "boiled" linseed oil contains metal catalysts. So I bought some (edible) organic flaxseed oil (flaxseed is the same thing as linseed) and treated the fretboard with it. The fretboard is the closest thing to ebony black now that I could realistically hope for.

Then the body came... holy crap. I first unboxed it and instantly noticed how lightweight it felt. I went over to my food scale and weighed it... just under 3 pounds...and that's with a hardtail route!!! Winner winner chicken dinner! While I was admiring the beautiful chunk of wood and sighting in the body, I then realized that they cut it as a one piece body. That's when it really sunk in how lucky I really got.

So I tempted fate and checked the only possible way that this upcoming build could get better or instantly put a damper on my excitement, and tested the fitment with the neck joint/heel. Yup, perfect friction fit/interferance fit! It just can't get any better!!  :turtle:  :turtle: :turtle:

Attachments

• 20190513_104814.jpg
    20190513_104814.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 575
For anyone who wanted to know the specs:
Neck: Mustang 24.0" Modern Construction, 59 profile, 1.650 nut width, straight 16" radius, 6100 Stainless Steel frets, dark rosewood fretboard on maple shaft, Vintage Tuner ream, White GraphTech nut

Body: 7/8 Strat Body, Swamp Ash, Universal Route, Narrow Hardtail Route

Attachments

• 20190513_105218.jpg
    20190513_105218.jpg
    914.8 KB · Views: 450
Awesome....glad you're so happy! Can't wait to see your finished axe! What kind of hardware and pickups do you plan to use?

To celebrate your lucky day, I recommend heading over to The Gear Page and starting a 20 page thread about how happy you are with Warmoth products!!!  :icon_biggrin:

(Just kidding!*)

*but not really

Yes indeed, fine looking lumber! Glad you're so pleased with your Warmoth parts, I know I always am. Keep us posted as the build progresses, and don't forget the pix!

Very nice body and neck. The grain in the body will look outstanding when the guitar is completed. You're the winner here. :icon_thumright:

The Aaron said:
Awesome....glad you're so happy! Can't wait to see your finished axe! What kind of hardware and pickups do you plan to use?

To celebrate your lucky day, I recommend heading over to The Gear Page and starting a 20 page thread about how happy you are with Warmoth products!!!  :icon_biggrin:

(Just kidding!*)

*but not really

Thanks Aaron! I'm a huge fan of the Warmoth Videos by the way... and the huge variety in what you play. Seriously though, that personal build you featured is one of the coolest guitars I've ever seen. I'm big on unique things though :D.

I'm actually planning on making this build really well documented, and posting the build log here first. I do eventually plan on posting it to The Gear Page. Gotta give credit where credit is due... and the build quality of these parts couldn't be higher. First I gotta build the thing though, and the nitro paint alone will take a month to dry  :sad:. It's okay though, I don't think the employees in the shop want to be any more slammed during the busy season than they already are :icon_thumright:. In short: this is basically the plan (courtesy of your website's generator).

KtE1ij9.png

This is going to be a really unique build, if you couldn't already tell. To be honest- this is actually going to be the guitar I learn on! When I was a child I always dreamed of building a guitar to learn on... and I'm fulfilling that dream now that I'm in my early twenties. I've been diddling around with learning here and there, and finally know exactly what I want spec wise to build as my "go to" guitar. So far I've learned on a Schecter with a 14" radius, and I figured if acoustics are 16" standard... chording can't really be that difficult on a 16" radius, can it? I figured that people just get used to what they initially learn on. I chose the 1.650" nut width because it's what the pricey Fender's and Suhr's use, and the 59' profile because its what the mega pricey Colling's guitars use. Stainless steel frets for the longevity... and 6100 because it seems like people love both the 6150 and 6100 in the forums. Might as well make it a bend master with a combo of the 16" radius and SS6100 frets!

I have a pair of Lollar p90's in their standard wind ready for this guitar. I was inspired by Pete's playing on his Dusenburg's neck p90 in this video... So that's part of where the inspiration for the p90's came from. I bought a JC40 as well  :icon_biggrin:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B8RjJrrCnw[/youtube]​

A (chrome plated brass saddle/plate) narrow spaced Gotoh hardtail bridge (GTC101) will be used. I'll have to properly line up the bridge and drill my own pilot holes myself, but it shouldn't be a huge challenge. After watching a few youtube videos of Tele brass saddles vs stainless steel saddles, I decided I liked the tone of brass better... and I really like the look of the GTC101's saddles.

For the minor things, a SS Callaham neck plate, 500k CTS pots, .022uf cap supplied by yours truly (holy crap those caps are tiny compared to orange drop's), Gotoh vintage staggered post tuners, white P90 covers, white volume/tone/selector switch tip, and a pearloid black pick guard.

To top it off, spray can fiesta red nitrocellulose finish from ReRanch (and neck clear coat). Here's the kicker though, I'm going to attempt an open grain finish on the body, as I took inspiration from Wudtone.

sGLi7MU.jpg

edit: Big thanks to BigSteve22 and Rgand as well :D

That should look good.

Wudtone does make a carmen gypsy red, in case you just want to go with their finish. It's a pretty close color to what you're planning.

wudtone-finishes-carmine-gypsy-med.jpg

Thanks for the heads up! I actually want to go the nitro route for the eventual relicing that time will do to it. I plan on staining the body yellow with turmeric (in everclear) before spraying. That way when the relicing does happen, it'll take a little inspiration from Gary Moore's strat :D

The Wudtone products look great, but I believe they soak into the wood rather than laying on top like nitro. Can't flake off finish that's soaked in! Lol

Their finishes do soak in initially but then they will build up if you put on a bunch of coats. Normally just a few is enough and the finish is rather thin. I'm doing one now that has some wipe-on poly on top to give it more gloss. I still didn't use any grain filler so the grain does show to an extent. I do like the open grain look.

Very nice.

One thing is though, I am not sure why you would put anything on the ebony board. Other than something to give them a light clean from time to time, they do not really need oiling or finishing.

Very nice! My kind of guitar.
In fact, all my Warmoth’s have 24” necks and the first one was a 7/8 Strat. Hardtail. So very much like my kind of guitar!  :icon_jokercolor:
I first put single coil sized humbuckers in it, but later swapped to DiMarzio P90’s. No problem thanks to the universal route.

146757166003744200_resized.jpg

stratamania said:
Very nice.

One thing is though, I am not sure why you would put anything on the ebony board. Other than something to give them a light clean from time to time, they do not really need oiling or finishing.

It's actually a rosewood fretboard :D. I agree, still no need for oil. It did make the fretboard blacker though:D

Ninja00151 said:
stratamania said:
Very nice.

It's actually a rosewood fretboard :D. I agree, still no need for oil. It did make the fretboard blacker though:D

Okay, I have no idea why I typed ebony when you mentioned Rosewood    :icon_scratch:

Logrinn said:
Very nice! My kind of guitar.
In fact, all my Warmoth’s have 24” necks and the first one was a 7/8 Strat. Hardtail. So very much like my kind of guitar!  :icon_jokercolor:
I first put single coil sized humbuckers in it, but later swapped to DiMarzio P90’s. No problem thanks to the universal route.

146757166003744200_resized.jpg

There's is some saying about great minds thinking alike...  :eek:ccasion14: :headbang:

Back