I am terrified I won't like the wood I get!

lava

I am so very close to building up my first Warmoth with a musiclander body. But when I talked to Warmoth on the phone they said that they do not provide pictures of the wood before making the body for me. I want a 24-fret pickup route, which I understand makes the body non-refundable.

All of this makes me terrified that I won't like the piece of wood they pick, and I'll be stuck with it! (wood will probably be canary, btw)

How did/do you guys deal with this?

Thanks!

That is part of the excitement of ordering a custom warmoth body/part!
Don't worry about it, you will love it either way.. I think over 95% is more than happy with what they get!

I was really worried when I ordered a custom Korina VIP body. after I ordered, I saw some really boring pics of Korina bodies.. but look how it turned out!!!

stratmay13th029.jpg

Warmoth has good quality control and a reputation to uphold.  Rest assured, they don't send out fugly bodies or use crappy woods.  :icon_thumright:

this one was even more scary.. as per Warmoth's suggestion, I ordered a quarter sawn rosewood top, without ever seeing one example!
after ordering, I searched all over the internet for examples, with no luck, so I got more and more scared that I would get something weird...

July212008006.jpg

I ordered a one-piece swamp ash body for my first one, total leap of faith....

Warmoth generally do not ship boring wood, that's the least I can say after being a forumite and warmoth.com lurker for many years now. If it's not exactly what you had imagined, well - see it as an unexpected surprise and a wonderful opportunity instead! All we ask is that you take pictures for us to, uh, drool over...

(oh, and "that's what she said"...)

Marko said:
this one was even more scary.. as per Warmoth's suggestion, I ordered a quarter sawn rosewood top, without ever seeing one example!
after ordering, I searched all over the internet for examples, with no luck, so I got more and more scared that I would get something weird...

July212008006.jpg

and like this, my new les paul is going to be.

and no, it's not a warmoth :)

lava said:
I am so very close to building up my first Warmoth with a musiclander body. But when I talked to Warmoth on the phone they said that they do not provide pictures of the wood before making the body for me. I want a 24-fret pickup route, which I understand makes the body non-refundable.

All of this makes me terrified that I won't like the piece of wood they pick, and I'll be stuck with it! (wood will probably be canary, btw)

How did/do you guys deal with this?

Thanks!

If you're that worried about it, why don't you select one of the canary "Unique Choice" lamtops available?

Okay, but the thing is I see "boring" wood all over their site. For instance, the difference in awesomeness factor between this black korina body:

korina.jpg

and this one:

s2851a.jpg

Is huge! Granted, one is unfinished, but it obviously does not have the same mojo of the first one. When I talk to my sales guy, will he even attempt to make a note of my preferences? Or are they just totally hardcore and  say "you get what you get"?

jackthehack said:
If you're that worried about it, why don't you select one of the canary "Unique Choice" lamtops available?

Where do I find those? I don't see them on the site...

lava said:
Okay, but the thing is I see "boring" wood all over their site. For instance, the difference in awesomeness factor between this black korina body:

korina.jpg

and this one:

s2851a.jpg

Is huge! Granted, one is unfinished, but it obviously does not have the same mojo of the first one. When I talk to my sales guy, will he even attempt to make a note of my preferences? Or are they just totally hardcore and  say "you get what you get"?

well, the last one finished will be AWESOME! look at teh grain patterns, the coloring. without finish, its always dull. and the pick your top is on the bodypage itself. can't miss!

They cant guarantee grain patterns unfortunately, and that includes the orange striping. 

Orpheo said:
well, the last one finished will be AWESOME! look at teh grain patterns, the coloring. without finish, its always dull. and the pick your top is on the bodypage itself. can't miss!

I agree...that second body isn't even finished and will probably look great.  It'll be different than the first, but cool nonetheless.

Okay, I see the unique choice laminate top option. That's perfect, I can totally go with that. Thanks for your help guys.

1st of all, I'm drunk :laughing7:

2nd how many percent of Canary do you like? If you like 10% of all you saw, don't go for it... it you like 90% of you saw, go for it... pretty much like this, no matter the individual figure that you like, it's more like the generic figure you shall like

First off, some woods vary greatly in grain pattern and discolouration. Korina is one of those.

However, other woods, like Alder or Maple, tend to be pretty consistent, or some would argue boring, in their patterns.

Do a search in the Showcase Bodies section and use the Filter section to look at all the bodies made with the wood you want to look at......and get an idea of how varied that type of wood can get.

Back