Humbucking Tele

That's a tele 4-way, or a Superswitch? I've got both lying around and a guitar to dick with, but it took me three years and expensive therapy to recover from my last go-round with a Superswitch. (Since everybody else in America is getting old & blind too, can't we just start making the little shit BIGGER....)

It's a super switch.

Oh and I should add - those are Seymour Duncan wire colors. And in the diagram I forgot to add a bare wire for the neck pickup. It should be grounded, obviously.

Thought I'd better update this thread. The final pickguard is now fitted.

SparklyTele-Web-Small.jpg

So I think that's it finished... or is it? One thing I might do that's slightly bugging me is fill and redrill some of the pickguard holes. The previous plate had them in a very slightly different place, meaning some of the screws couldn't go in dead straight.

Jumble That look very good, how you like that combination of pickups?
Also thanks for the diagram, can you tell me where you solder the missing wire?
Thanks!

The pickups are great, they go together really well and balance easily. Neck pickup is nice and bright which was a slight worry.

The position 2 sound sounds like a normal tele's middle position, and the middle position sounds a bit more like a Les Paul's middle position (but brighter).

The bridge is still twangy like a normal Tele, but much more growly and has more attitude.

You see where the white wire comes from the neck pickup? There should also be a bare wire there, that goes to the same place (or can be grounded anywhere that is convenient).

:blob7:  ...... me like.

Another stylish build Jumble.  :headbang: ... nice puppies too.

The weather here has been atrocious (business as usual then), but I will do some outdoor shots at some point!

Oh and thanks for the compliments, guys.  :rock-on:

I did a video with this guitar the other day if you guys are interested. Nothing flashy but it's pretty rare we ever get to hear what these beasts sound like so I thought, what the hell.

[flash=640,360]http://www.youtube.com/v/jqPFR-GcGYc?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0[/flash]

Sounds great Jumble.  I am building a similar Tele with a lil 59 bridge and a Jazz neck.  I like the way that lil 59 sounds.

The Jazz neck will be lovely. It's such a great pickup.

I really recommend the position 4 sound on this guitar too (it's the first one I switch to in the video after the bridge pickup).

I think that's one of the cleanest/tightest wire jobs I've seen in a Tele cavity.

I tried to fit my Megaswitch in my Bari-Tele, and the terminals sticking off to the side wouldn't allow it to fit, then I went with the 4 position switch. 

So, is the .001 cap on the switch only for the bridge p/u?  What's it for?

OK, quick explanation required for that.

Positions 1, 3 and 5 are as you'd expect: Bridge, both, neck. Completely normal tele wiring.

Position two is both pickups split (to opposite coils), but in series. Keeps it hum-cancelling and also keeps the volume similar to the other positions.

Position 4 is the same as position two with one difference: the neck coil runs in parallel with the 1nF capacitor. So it's like turning a tone control down on the neck pickup only. It's only subtly different to position 2 but it gets much more use - it has a very slight quack to it.

I'm considering doing something with position 2 as it doesn't get much use at the moment. Possibly a similar arrangement but with a resistor, or a different value of capacitor, or something.

Back