Humbucker Shootout

GoDrex said:
I also though there were very little difference, but then I started listening to the entire clips, and skipping ahead and I could notice differences more. I think the first part of the clip is the part that sounds the most similar. Towards the middle of the clips is where it gets easier to tell the differences - IMO.

sometimes it's like banging your head against a wall.

GoDrex said:
GoDrex said:
I think the first part of the clip is the part that sounds the most similar.

sometimes it's like banging your head against a wall.

Especially when you essentially agree with what the other poster said about the "Brown Eye" stuff all sounding the same.........   :laughing11:

HOLD IT, HOLD IT, HOLD IT!!!!!!  :binkybaby:

This is really starting to piss me off. I thought the site was above this type of stuff???

Guys and gals, I didn't post this here to start an argument.  :icon_scratch:

To anybody who wants to start an argument over it, stop now. I started the thread which means I can delete it with the click of a button. But I don't want to because it is a real world comparison. And there's plenty to hear, definitely a benefit to somebody looking for a new pick-up.

If what I've said applies to you, good. if it doesn't, then thank you and enjoy.

It's probably the best comparison of current market pups I've ever seen. Used in real music, along with backing tracks, including vocals. and using four real world amps of different types and tones, from vintage Fender, to hot rodded Marshalls (two of them) and a Diezel Herbert!!! From clean, to light crunch, to all out gain. Who else has done it??? Anybody who thinks the high gain distortion sounds in those recordings sounded thin with a ratty-buzzy top end definitely needs to check their speakers. A laptop or small cheap desktop speakers will not give you good tone, get over it. Pups were only used in the bridge positions (even on the cleans), not in the neck spot. He's releasing disc of all the recordings so you can load up and jump back and forth between pups to hear the real differences in real time, not like now where you have to load one, listen, then load the 2nd one and listen while having to remember how the 1st sounded. On the fly track swapping, get it?!?!?!?

By the way, I'm no way affiliated with any of this shootout, didn't even submit a pup (although I have several I could have sent). Just to get that out of the way.  Just figured everybody could benefit from my posting it here. :icon_thumright:

Carry on children.

Death by Uberschall said:
HOLD IT, HOLD IT, HOLD IT!!!!!!  :binkybaby:

This is really starting to piss me off. I thought the site was above this type of stuff???

Guys and gals, I didn't post this here to start an argument.  :icon_scratch:

To anybody who wants to start an argument over it, stop now. I started the thread which means I can delete it with the click of a button. But I don't want to because it is a real world comparison. And there's plenty to hear, definitely a benefit to somebody looking for a new pick-up.

If what I've said applies to you, good. if it doesn't, then thank you and enjoy.

It's probably the best comparison of current market pups I've ever seen. Used in real music, along with backing tracks, including vocals. and using four real world amps of different types and tones, from vintage Fender, to hot rodded Marshalls (two of them) and a Diezel Herbert!!! From clean, to light crunch, to all out gain. Who else has done it??? Anybody who thinks the high gain distortion sounds in those recordings sounded thin with a ratty-buzzy top end definitely needs to check their speakers. A laptop or small cheap desktop speakers will not give you good tone, get over it. Pups were only used in the bridge positions (even on the cleans), not in the neck spot. He's releasing disc of all the recordings so you can load up and jump back and forth between pups to hear the real differences in real time, not like now where you have to load one, listen, then load the 2nd one and listen while having to remember how the 1st sounded. On the fly track swapping, get it?!?!?!?

By the way, I'm no way affiliated with any of this shootout, didn't even submit a pup (although I have several I could have sent). Just to get that out of the way.  Just figured everybody could benefit from my posting it here. :icon_thumright:

Carry on children.

No doubt - props for effort.  At the same time, there have been countless tone tests on the interwebz; I myself have done some.

It's not a big deal, and this isn't the only "pickup shootout" that's ever been done.

The thing is, just because someone does one, doesn't automatically prove that they're effective.  I don't care if they were recorded in Ted Templemann's studio.  Example in case - I did a 12AX7 t00b shootout several years back; I busted my @$$ doing it.  A couple people asked me how I recorded it, and I told them (cheap ass Soundblaster at a horrible sampling rate).  They told me that's not a good test, and that I should get a better card.  Well, I did - and now I don't sound like $h!t anymore.  LOL  I didn't get all pissy; I listened to the critique.

That's the thing with boards - you post something, be prepared for critique or praise.  In my case, if something doesn't work for me, I'm gonna say it.  If I like something, I'm gonna say it.  I'm not gonna sit here and lie or kiss @$$.  The "Brown Eye" amp(s) simply do not work well for a pickup shootout.  Why?  The end result proves why - the clips all sound practically the same; especially with the top end.  You need a better amp for this kind of testing (one that doesn't color the guitar's tone so much)  Whooptie-doo. 

Superlizard said:
It's probably the best comparison of current market pups I've ever seen.

Oh yeah?  So which pickup sounds best to you?
I'm sure it will be the one you won't like, right?!?!?

I found my humbucker of choice many moons ago (and that's never going to change)... I don't think it was tested here.  SD Seth Lover.

So, what's your favorite here?

Superlizard said:
Superlizard said:
It's probably the best comparison of current market pups I've ever seen.

Oh yeah?  So which pickup sounds best to you?
I'm sure it will be the one you won't like, right?!?!?

I found my humbucker of choice many moons ago (and that's never going to change)... I don't think it was tested here.  SD Seth Lover.

So, what's your favorite here?
I actually haven't picked a favorite yet, still listening and comparing.  :icon_thumright:

Back