How/What Finish To Use On A Decal On A Warmoth Clear Gloss Finished Headstock...

Killswitch95

The title basically says it all, I am having a neck shipped to me with a clear gloss finish on it and will be applying a waterslide decal on it. I have seen advice regarding this with a nitro satin finish neck but that is not what I am getting so as this is my first build in any respect I want to ask you guys for the proper way of doing it so:

A) The decal doesn't run

B) The decal/finish doesn't bubble or anything else...

Also after applying the finish, do I buff it? Or is it good? I literally do not know... Honestly a from start to finish 'This is how you do it on a gloss finish' would be great...

stratamania said:
In reference to your question in particular this thread is relevant specifically the element on counterfeiting and providing advice on attaching decals.

Guidelines for the Unofficial Warmoth Discussion Board

For this reason we stay clear of providing advice on attaching decals.

You know what, that's fair... True it would have been for my own personal use but I can see how explaining such here would allow a would be counterfeiter to do the same for a malicious act...

Killswitch95 said:
stratamania said:
In reference to your question in particular this thread is relevant specifically the element on counterfeiting and providing advice on attaching decals.

Guidelines for the Unofficial Warmoth Discussion Board

For this reason we stay clear of providing advice on attaching decals.

You know what, that's fair... True it would have been for my own personal use but I can see how explaining such here would allow a would be counterfeiter to do the same for a malicious act...

Indeed and thanks for your understanding. Often decal manufacturers provide instructions with their products.

If the decal says warmoth, this is what I've done.

1) Apply your finish to headstock.  Let the finish cure really good.
2) Follow directions from manufacturer.
3) Gently apply a couple coats of the same clear finish over the decal.

Tip: Get about three extras in case something happens in the application process because they are delicate.

Though really ... once your get used to it, headstocks look better without decals.  On a new suit I don't emblazen it with a motto of some sort.

Back