How to tell if this LP is a real Warmoth?

5truck7

Hi Everyone,
I have been reading this forum for the past few months after finding out about Warmoth and this is my first post.  I have learned a lot from what I have read so far.  I do not own a Warmoth yet, but I was originally hoping to build an LP but saw they had to discontinue them.  I came across someone selling an LP locally and the price seemed very reasonable and I am hoping to buy it in the next few days.  I have a concern though, that is telling if it is a legitimate Warmoth body and neck and not some knock off with a bolt-on neck.  After talking to the owner nothing lead me to believe something is askew, but figured I should do my due diligence.  Are there any other indicators without detaching the neck from the body to look for the stamp?
Here some of the specifications & pictures:

Body: one piece mahogany
Top: flame maple
Binding: black
Contoured heel

Neck: mahogany
Fretboard: ebony
Inlay: abalone shell
Neck profile: 59 roundback
Frets: gold
Nut: 1 11/16
Radius: Straight 12”

Pickups are DiMarzio 36th anniversary PAFs DP103 and DP223.
Strap buttons are Dunlop straplocks WITH a strap.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

Attachments

• full LP.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 344
  • CloseUp LP.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 326
  • Back LP.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 326
Well, a couple thing look "Right" for it to be a Warmoth.
- The body has a contour heal that looks like the one Warmoth uses.
- The bridge placment cooks correct for a Warmoth
- The truss rod cover on the neck also loos correct for a Warmoth

None of these can be taken as 100% proof that it is a Warmoth body and neck but all three together would lead me to think it is Warmoth.

The only reall way to tell is ti seperate the neck and body and look for the stamp...

It is a noce looking guitar.

V/R
Bill

Offer to buy new strings and have them take off the neck.  If it's really a Warmoth and you buy it, great. If not you're out less than 10 bucks and you know for sure.

It has Strat knobs on it. Anybody that would do that can not be trusted. Get out while you still can :icon_jokercolor:

Thank you for the responses.  They are very helpful.  I like the idea about offering to buy new strings.  I agree, I am not the biggest fan of the strat knobs, but I think I can fix that  :icon_smile:.  Also, thank you to whom ever moved the post, I realized I put it in the wrong section this morning.  I haven't had the opportunity to play the guitar yet, but I am looking forward to it. I will post an update this weekend if I get it.

I am baffled by the seemingly widespread idea that you have to remove the strings to take off the neck.  :icon_scratch: I've seen it over and over, in Premier Guitar magazine, no less. :icon_scratch: Doesn't anyone know to just loosen them till slack, put a capo on somewhere - 1st fret, 5th fret, 12th, doesn't matter. Then take off the neck, the capo keeps them from sproinging loose off the headstock.  :icon_scratch:

StubHead said:
I am baffled by the seemingly widespread idea that you have to remove the strings to take off the neck.  :icon_scratch: I've seen it over and over, in Premier Guitar magazine, no less. :icon_scratch: Doesn't anyone know to just loosen them till slack, put a capo on somewhere - 1st fret, 5th fret, 12th, doesn't matter. Then take off the neck, the capo keeps them from sproinging loose off the headstock.  :icon_scratch:

Yup. Good tip. If I bought new strings every time I pulled off I neck.... I'd be poor.

The gold frets, that body finish and black binding are all pretty good indicators by themselves that they're Warmoth parts. Unless it's a highly custom build from scratch, it's unlikely you'd see those kinds of accoutrements from anywhere else. Then, even if you did, that's still a very nice guitar and would be worth considering.

But, as has been mentioned, you can just loosen the strings and pull the neck without ill effect. Even very early Warmoth parts had indelible trademarks on the neck heel and neck pocket.

If you do remove the neck there is 2 different length screws DON'T mix their locations up
the bridge could fall off also, the contoured heel sure looks Warmoth. A very clean & nicely
matched Mahogany neck & body . Use StubHeads advice capo.
It seems more desirable now its not available anymore. Good Luck with the buy.

It seems a little extreme to want to take off the neck. The value of Warmoth parts is great, but is not the best idea if you plan on selling it. Hopefully, he did price it well. To basicially confirm it's Warmoth, just take a close look at everything for quality. If it's basically flawless, it's a Warmoth!  :icon_biggrin:

Back