How to put on string retainer?

ZackPomerleau

I have one of those vintage round ones, and don't know how to put it on, do I measure or what? Same with the tuners (well, not really).

http://www.gruhn.com/features/55tele/EF7345h.jpg

I usually just eyeball it, and then loosen the 1st and 2nd strings a little, hook the strings under the retainer, and push it down until it's resting on the wood. Once it looks like it's in the right place, take an icepick (or something equally pointy), put it through the screwhole in the retainer, and make a mark for your drill bit. 

Make sure you measure how deep the screw will go, and mark your bit with a piece of tape as a depth-marker. I always mark my bit a tad less than the length of the screw. Make sure you measure WITH the screw in the retainer. It takes VERY little pressure to go straight through the headstock with an electric drill, which is why I have an antique hand drill. When you're drilling holes that are only 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep, you really don't need electricity.

No strings on yet, but I will do it as soon as possible! Will a screwdriver work for this? So the strings go UNDER it!

You should put the strings on loosely, like RLW explained.  You'll need more than a screwdriver... you got to drill a narrow "pilot hole" before you put the screw in.  It should be as narrow as the screw without the threads.  It sounds like maybe you should find someone with a little more woodworking experience to help you.

Back