How to get that Warmoth Vintage Tint finish on swamp ash body.

nsurround

Just received my vintage telecaster unfinished swamp ash body. I also received a warmoth roasted maple neck. Both look really good. Will probably not put on any finish/oil on the neck. However for the body I was thinking of a natural but Vintage Tint look similar to what Warmoth does with that finish but with tru-oil etc. The process I have for finishing the body I have so far is:

Sand and seal - anything to recommend here?
Wood Filler - a couple of applications (Timbermate)
Tint - what type of tint to get close to Vintage look?
Tru-Oil coats - using coffee filters - 10 to 12 coats or between satin and gloss effect.
Final Wax Coat - any recommendations here?

Any recommendations or thoughts about the above would be appreciated!

Well no replies and probably similar question as has been posted before. In any case, I did some more research and purchased the materials and dyes to do the Vintage type finish on a unfinished vintage swamp ash tele body. What I found so far that unless you really are interested in doing an unusual finish, is that having Warmoth do it is really a good option. Their finishes usually run just under $200 and from what I have seen they do a beautiful job. My costs for supplies and everything will be just under $100. I am saving only about $80 for the Vintage finish they offer. Now if you have some of the supplies already your costs will be most likely less. Currenlty it takes Warmoth about 5 weeks to do a finish on a guitar body. A DIY schedule will be at least similar so you are really not saving any time. However if you are the DIY type and want to actually create a distinctive finish and say you did it as part of the build then by all means go for it. But YMMV depending on your woodworking skill and knowledge level etc.

I really like the pure Tung oil/wax finish that I did on my roasted Maple neck.  Darkened it several shades and the feel is super slick without being glossy.  That finish is also about the easiest to do, just takes time letting the neck dry for several weeks before applying the paste wax.  You could tea stain the body and apply Tru-oil as another simple method.  Lots of videos on the net for doing both.

Tea... click on the link in my signature - Tele Build.

The steps would be easily adapted for Tru-oil.
Wax, use Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Wax.

35835269685_72a172d298_o.jpg

I also did a tea and tru oil finish on my Jazzcaster build, though I took it darker than vintage tint.

ZOG8Wla.jpg

I love this! You post details of the tea and oil finish anywhere?
EDIT: found it: https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30780.0

Back