how r my fret ends lookin'?

BroccoliRob

pretty good i hope (and checkout da fretboard--Cuba gooding Jr from Rollerball would be jealous of that rolling job)

OhWB3IM.jpg

btw the newer mexican players series Surf Green has PEARL in it, which looks AWESOME. its made a good home for my new neck from the Biggie W (Gibson scale, Earbana nut) and my Dimarzio Injectors. you can hear this guitar in my new EP (go to the studdio sessions subforum for deets (details))

CQ75mb8.jpg

Thx, my friends. its amazing what one can achieve with files u can get at Lowes. took a long time to save up for this neck, but it's worth every penny. Lots of pennies, nah mean? I used to save quarters but it got too expensive.

Nice work and cool guitar!

Post more pics. I’d ask questions but I know I won’t understand the response :) .

How you like those Earbananas? Never tried them, always wanted to :bananaguitar:

Needs some Graphtech saddles and then it would be perfect to me! Can't stand those stamped saddles, they tear my hands up

stratamania said:
Good job, and I doubt we will see any sprouts with those ends...
I don't really like bean sprouts (too crispy) so fret sprouts would really be awful

Cactus Jack said:
Nice work and cool guitar!

Post more pics. I’d ask questions but I know I won’t understand the response :) .
el oh el, but thx my buddy, keep blazin' in the free world, Xtra pics below. I sprayed some acrylic lacquer on it myself and buffed it with some Scratch X (auto polisher) and it feels like good feeling, like that arrowsmith song: sweet emojis

JaySwear2 said:
How you like those Earbananas? Never tried them, always wanted to :bananaguitar:

Needs some Graphtech saddles and then it would be perfect to me! Can't stand those stamped saddles, they tear my hands up

The nut is good as usual but i dont know if i can really notice the extra, especial intonation benefits or not.

i did replace the lame fender tuners with some Hipshots and the saddles with the Highwood (did i buy it pertly for the name, uh, yes) that are very #comfortable and still look kinda vintagety

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/all-hardware-and-parts-by-instrument/electric-guitar-parts/electric-guitar-saddles/highwood-contoured-vintage-saddles-for-strat-set-of-6.html

rN7NFwn.jpg

PggbXtq.jpg

War_in_D said:
Looks really good.. What process did you use to roll the fretboard edges?

i did the classic -scrape the corners with a razor blade and then use sandpaper to round the wood like u r polishing a shoe- i used to be a shoe polisher guy at the st Louis airport so I got that technique down. Then rounding the frets with a triangle file. That part Took a looong time on these steel frets. i probs(probably) wore out this file but it was only like $9 (us dollars)

BroccoliRob said:
i did the classic -scrape the corners with a razor blade and then use sandpaper to round the wood like u r polishing a shoe- i used to be a shoe polisher guy at the st Louis airport so I got that technique down. Then rounding the frets with a triangle file. That part Took a looong time on these steel frets. i probs(probably) wore out this file but it was only like $9 (us dollars)

Thanks for the reply.  I usually just slap my Warmoth necks on and play em', but I'm going to do a little extra work to the necks I'm working on now.  I'm thinking a fretboard rolling may be in order.

BroccoliRob said:
... Then rounding the frets with a triangle file. That part Took a looong time on these steel frets. i probs(probably) wore out this file but it was only like $9 (us dollars)

Those look pretty good to me! Fine job!

You might be surprised at the file. I've been using this file from StewMac, and I usually get a couple dozen refrets out of it before I need to replace it. I do stainless almost exclusively.

Cagey said:

You might be surprised at the file. I've been using this file from StewMac, and I usually get a couple dozen refrets out of it before I need to replace it. I do stainless almost exclusively.

I just ordered one of those files today.  Had been using the Stew Mac Triangle files, but the "safe edge" on those isn't really that safe.. lol

Might be a technique thing. I've tried using those triangle files since a lotta guys swear by 'em, but have been less than pleased with the results and end up swearing at  them. That StewMac design works well - you can hold the safe edge to the fretboard and angle the file just enough to get the corners of the frets. I still tape everything off anyway, just to be safe. It's worth the time to me, since repairing fretboards isn't really any fun.

Cagey said:
BroccoliRob said:
... Then rounding the frets with a triangle file. That part Took a looong time on these steel frets. i probs(probably) wore out this file but it was only like $9 (us dollars)

PRAISE FROM #CAESAR (and i dont' mean the salad lol)

I def taped off the f-board and took my time (self medicating obvs to clam the nerves). twas an X-periment. fret ends from the Big W are always acceptable but this was fun.

btw i still don't understand the ninja turtle emoticon  :turtle:  what does it even mean

The StewMac fret end file Cagey posted is really the perfect tool for the job. It checks all the boxes - it works, its relatively safe if used correctly, it’s easy to use correctly (even for novices), and as a bonus it’s fairly cheap. And it’s got the perfect abrasion to it -not too aggressive, but enough that it doesn’t take long to do the trick and move to the next fret.

Back