How many years have you played and how many hours a week do you practice?

K

kreig

and how old were you when you first got the "Bug". . .and how many bands have you been in ?

I started when I was 16 y.o. ,
I just started on my 31st year , wasted almost a year trying to play righty ,
and generally speaking ,I'm a 1 hour a day player.
+/- 10 bands
:party07:

Have been playing guitar for about 10 years now. I guess I should practice more but I think about 10 hours a week. Soo much else to do:) I have never been in a band though. Just playing with friends for fun. I think about 70% of my best friends play some sort of instrument  :icon_thumright:

I started when I was 13 - bought my friend's Ibanez Iceman off of him. It was a cheapo version. Took lessons for 6 months or so I think. Practiced A LOT back then. Started trying to get bands going when I was 16 or so. Played in various bands with friends and other people until I was 21 or so and then went to college. Sold off my amp. My guitar was a POS. Pretty much stopped playing guitar altogether when I was around 24-25. Didn't really touch a guitar for 10 or 11 years. Started playing again at age 36 (I'm 40 now). Got new gear that I'm much happier with, compared to what I used to have. I try to play an hour a day or more but I can't always. In some ways I'm a better player than I was when I was at 20. In other ways I'm not as good. I have more knowledge now that I can use, but I still have a lot of my old habits. I don't have any people to jam with and I'd like to, but I don't see that happening. I like to record sometimes - I did a bunch of quick recordings back in fall of 2007 - some of which I'm proud of. See my sig.  :rock-on:

I started playing in 2000, when I was 19.  Still haven't taken any lessons, nor played in any bands.  Don't practice nearly as much as I should...  If I had to estimate, it would be less than one hour per day.  But I've never stopped enjoying it, and I learn a few things now and then.  I'm just getting into recording, and trying to come up with originals, but really, it's just a hobby.

Kind of like Godrex's story - started around 15, had a few extreme POS guitars and eventually one real black beauty, played with buddies in garages for a while, sort-of gave it up in 20s while I was living abroad (I had a guitar here and there but never did much with it). Got back into playing around 3 years ago, now I play 1/2 - 1 hr a day when I can. I'm definitely a better player now than I was, but I'm playing such different stuff too, that it's hard to compare.

Playing for about 31 years now, currently gigging in a weekend warrior sort of way: 4-6 gigs a month on average. Not counting playing time for gigs, rehearsals and learning tunes, I get about 2 hours in a day, again, on average.

Been playing about 30 years  :headbang1:

I practised about 2 hours a day (sometimes more) for the first 10 years or so.
These days I only "practise" very occasionally, though I play most days (if you see what I mean?)

Gee, I'm old.... I've been playing since I was 12 years old  - in 1969... I could sight-read bass parts then, and then I discovered pot, no-no and Led Zepp (in no particular order) Gaak, still building guitars, and I'm gonna be a rock star any day now... honest I am. :help:

P.S. Did you know that that Warmoth substitutes "ice cream" for a word that normally starts with a "P", that normally describes "cats"? As much as I like cats, I can't remember being that into them when I was 15... god I hope not.... :eek:

started when i was 16, had lessons for a few months then quit, picked it up again 2 years ago (18), iv never played in a band unless u count my half band that never really did anythign except one rubbish jam session :laughing11:

and i don't practice at all

I started when I was 16 or 17.  I'm 23 now, so ~7 years.  I probably play about an hour a day, these days.  Over the years I think I've been in 3 bands.

I started 3.5 yrs ago at age 35, But I played drums from age 14. I probably average an hour a day practice. I could play all day though, but I havn't managed to  win the lotto yet  :laughing7:

Playing guitar since I was 12, so 19 years so far.   Although I started playing Piano when I was 7, so Music in general 24.

As for practicing, I really don't "practice" anymore, although I probably play guitar an hour a day still.

Bands..... hmm.....a dozen maybe?  Only one big one though that actually played a lot of shows, recorded, etc.  

For the time being though I just play in my basement and order expensive gutiar pedals on-line.
:)

erik

I've been playing for about 13 years took lessons for around 8 of those years but the first 3 years were a complete write off as the guy who was teaching me was forcing me to take grade exams without actually teaching me anything other than very dull to play chord routines, the next couple of teachers I had were good though and never tried to force me to learn something I found boring, as a result after 13 years of playing I still only know a few basic chords and minor scales.  :doh:

Not that I use scales or chords on a regular basis, my playing tends to be either atonal ambient rubbish or Sunn o))) inspired slow heavy lunacy.

Now that I'm a student I often find that on days I'm not at uni I don't have the time to play guitar or when I do I'm too tired (3 hour commutes are not enjoyable), still I do try to play fairly regularly and on occasions I have recorded a few bits and pieces but nothing particularly good. Forming a band has always been a waste of time for me as I've never found a drummer who can keep up with my annoying tendency to change time signature on a regular basis, plus I very rarely encounter anybody who has similar tastes in music to me let alone actually wants to play like I do.

Nick Ellingworth said:
Not that I use scales or chords on a regular basis, my playing tends to be either atonal ambient rubbish or Sunn o))) inspired slow heavy lunacy.

A man after my own heart.  :icon_thumright:

Xplorervoodoo said:
Nick Ellingworth said:

A man after my own heart.   :icon_thumright:

You're possibly the first person who's ever reacted positively when I've mentioned the stuff I play, most people tend to react awkwardly to it. :icon_thumright:

Recently I've been getting into singing. Most of what I've been playing for the past year has been songs over which I can sing, acoustic or electric. I'm new at this whole "vocals" thing. It is humbling!

Started to learn to play seriously at 19 in early 2001. Very little time or energy to practise constructively right now, but on a good day I play for an hour. I played at lot while I was at the university, just a few months ago... So distant now...

Xplorervoodoo said:
Nick Ellingworth said:

A man after my own heart.   :icon_thumright:

Mine too!  Sludge metal is the sickest shit ever.

Picked up the guitar about 12 years ago.  Dropped it for a few and picked it back up 2 years ago after a bad breakup.  I needed to break out of the funk.....and talking about it wasn't getting it done.

Since then I get 1-2 hours a day of good play time about 5 days a week.  The other two are set aside for any work on either mine or other peoples axes.

Back