How many of you have gloss necks?

juliancs

I decided to go with a satin finish on my order, but was really leaning towards going with a black glossy neck...I'm going with a green dye with burn over, black back, and I can't help thinking it would make the guitar more complete...I'm getting a maple neck so its a bright wood against the dark front. : / I'm rambling out loud here and as far as I know glossy necks can get sticky..but yea.

My G4 has a black gloss neck because I simply hate the contrast between a peghead with a finish on it and a clear finish on the neck. I only have one other bass, a cheap Yamaha 270J with a cheap satin finish to compare it to, but I really prefer the painted neck because the 270J's finish feels too cheap and dry.

I like the satin finish.  I only go with gloss if it rounds out the entire package.  Truth be known, I prefer the smooth feel of a satin finished neck.

That's the thing, I much prefer the look of a , in this case, black gloss. but i dont like the feel of them, and at the end of the day it's an instrument to be played, so...

Order a Canary neck; will sound pretty much the same as maple, and you don't even need a finish on it at all.

I think maple necks look fine on any color guitar. IMO if you like satin you should go for that. I have a gloss neck and I like it a lot but I'm not real picky about the feel of the finish. I have a Parker with a satin finish and I like it, but not enough for it to be a preference. I guess just figure out what's more important, the look or the feel. With my LP the look of it was more important and I couldn't be happier with how it plays. I don't find it sticky at all like my old V. I'm guessing that had a nitro finish, it used to get all gunked up.

One of my acoustics has a gloss finish and I hate it.  Looks killer, though.

I ordered my Strat neck with a satin finish, and it has burnished quite nicely to a smooth gloss.  The maple has also darkened up a bit and the flaming on the back looks great now rather than understated (I ordered it sans flame, but I'll take what they send me!).

I ordered my strat neck with an alpine white gloss finish, and it feels pretty good to me, but then, I've never tried a satin neck yet, so...

Back