How is this appealing???

line6man

Epic Member
Ok, i just saw this bass...

it has a big knot in the middle of the wood.

since this is supposedly a high end bass, how the hell could a big knot be appealing in any way?

i am extremely confused right now.

any thoughts?

Sometimes a disfiguration of the wood can look cool and add something to the look.....This ain't one of those times.  That is a big ugly knot!

Not to mention that the pickup does not seem to fit the rout. I wonder if they're planning a pickup surround there or something.

having said that, there is one production electric guitar from a famous manufacturer with clearly visible knots on the top:  The Gretsch Round Up!

g6130_xl.jpg

the pickup looks fine to me. i guess its just a weird pickup design.
i was never a fan of "guitar style" humbuckers on a bass though.

i agree that knots can look pretty cool on certain instruments.
it gives a certain element of "natural-ness"
but damn, this one looks terrible.

i dont like the color of the maple on the bass either.
i always thought that really light colored maple has a "sickening" quality to it. i like a little bit of tint/color.

Apparently you guys did'nt notice the bass that was behind this one . He probably will do a second pup route there or maybe a p/g to cover that knot !?
You all should be ashamed of yourselves for throwing those comments around , as if it were some kind of finished product !

Please save your judgement after it's finished . . . or that you can do better !

Thank you , Kreig

kreig said:
Apparently you guys did'nt notice the bass that was behind this one . He probably will do a second pup route there or maybe a p/g to cover that knot !?
You all should be ashamed of yourselves for throwing those comments around , as if it were some kind of finished product !

Please save your judgement after it's finished . . . or that you can do better !

Thank you , Kreig

dude, it IS finished...
it just isnt wired yet.

its on this page, but you need to scroll down about a third of the way.
http://www.birdsongguitars.com/inventory.htm

kreig said:

Thank you , Kreig
I reserve the right to take back any sarcastic comments preceeding this one...... :toothy12:

Made in TEXAS...bitcheZ.... :icon_thumright:

Now I'm *issed ,

I presume you read this !?

"and the Maple pickguard will have special woodburning like the headstock. The hardware is all gold plated. Current status: Nearing final assembly"

this is my second reply to lineman calling me "DUDE" , I lost the 1st one when I noticed the "new reply" notice and did'nt post til
I read it ,only to lose my 1st response !

NEVER heard of these guy's ! ! !  btw Guitlouie

I accept your apologies gentlemen

kreig said:
"and the Maple pickguard will have special woodburning like the headstock. The hardware is all gold plated. Current status: Nearing final assembly"
Somehow, with him describing the knot as 'beatuiful' and 'almost like a rose' I doubt if it will be covered by the pickguard...

Hi Kreig,

Sorry that we've pushed your buttons on this - no harm was intended, just an expression of personal taste.

Speaking of which, my personal taste does not lean towards knots on guitar tops -  I still find it kinda ugly. :icon_biggrin:

kreig said:
Now I'm *issed ,

this is my second reply to lineman calling me "DUDE" , I lost the 1st one when I noticed the "new reply" notice and did'nt post til
I read it ,only to lose my 1st response !

NEVER heard of these guy's ! ! !  btw Guitlouie

I accept your apologies gentlemen
Who pissed in your cheerios today? :icon_scratch:

All I meant was to cut the guy some slack  :icon_scratch: after everyone pig-piled on top of him .

I hope no one has the need to put a "$3000 knot" in his guitar collection .  :sad:

I don't think it looks good, either.  But it is an interesting piece of wood.  It will be to someone's taste.

Incidentally, some of the other basses on there look sweeeet.  :guitaristgif:

You know just looking, most of my book cabinets my dad made have lots of knots in them, they're just pine, but he finished them so err......tastefully, the knots look good. But not on a guitar. Cabinet knots=good/Guitar knots= slightly projectile vomit inducing.

That edge routed like a cabinet is called a "German carve" and it's what happens when a furniture maker or garage hobbyist decides to get into the "lucrative field of instrument making." Another thing that happens is body cutaways unrelated to fret access.... weird balance, truss rods that don't pull on the necks where they need to... no, I haven't played one, it may be the greatest ever.

Leo Fender had three basic design parameters:
1) It should be made out of cheap, easily available stuff
2) It needs to be made on common furniture-making equipment
3) No more than semi-skilled labor should be utilized.

The rest is historical accident, luck, and being in the right place at the right time. This guy may also be lucky, but the competition has gotten stiffer.... :hello2:

Well, to me his inventory page looks like the place where his experiments wind up. If you look over the rest of his site, it contains a lot more conventional stuff. It looks like he says to himself 'now what could I do with this here router and that there piece of wood' - and then goes on to actually do it. A lot of what he's doing is not all that estheically appealng to me personally, but I really appreciate the way he's not holding back his creativity. And he's not forcing this on his customers, if it's not to your liking there's a lot more stuff that doesn't look half bad. And he's pretty creative at writing the descriptions too.

Back