How do you paint a body?

O

Orange Tortex

I’m going for an unfinished Alder Strat so that I can give it a custom paint job. So what are the steps of doing that? I don’t want to do anything overly complicated, I was thinking maybe a competition stripe or some kind of stripe pattern.
And this is probably a no, but can you get a clear finished body and just start painting it?

Dude, you opened Pandora's box now :) There are tons of ways to finish a guitar, some very easy (i.e. oil-based), some harder (e.g. nitro/polyurethane laquer). Here's an excellent overview: https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1308.0

What really helped me to get started is Brad Angove's Youtube channel - give it a try. He's pretty much covered every technique there is.

To what you have planned, it looks like Duplicolor spray cans applied with masking technique (EVH style) could be an option. "Painting" is a very broad term - so maybe give us a more precise hint as to how the guitar should look and we point you in a sensible direction. In any case, if you want to "paint" yourself, go for a totally unfinished body. A clear finished body can't be amended (unless you sand off the clear finish which would bring you back to an unfinished body).

alexreinhold said:
Dude, you opened Pandora's box now :) There are tons of ways to finish a guitar, some very easy (i.e. oil-based), some harder (e.g. nitro/polyurethane laquer). Here's an excellent overview: https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1308.0

What really helped me to get started is Brad Angove's Youtube channel - give it a try. He's pretty much covered every technique there is.

To what you have planned, it looks like Duplicolor spray cans applied with masking technique (EVH style) could be an option. "Painting" is a very broad term - so maybe give us a more precise hint as to how the guitar should look and we point you in a sensible direction. In any case, if you want to "paint" yourself, go for a totally unfinished body. A clear finished body can't be amended (unless you sand off the clear finish which would bring you back to an unfinished body).
So I don’t want anything ridiculously detailed, maybe just a regular gloss finish with the stripe design. It’ll be rear routed, so no pickguard, which adds more room to paint.
As for the design, I’m not sure if I want to go for just a simple comp stripe or more EVH style. Eddie is actually my guitar hero but I don’t want to rip him off of course.
There’s also the color to decide on, and until I do that I can’t buy hardware.

Before ordering the body, decide on the color.
Finishing a body is the most resource/ability and time investment of any part of your build.
If at all possible, order it finished to your desired outcome.
Asking about tuners and jack holes etc is about grade 1 on building. Finishing your own guitar is like 10+x more difficult.

Don’t be discouraged, but understand what you want to end up with at the end. Be able to detail it and why.  Then create the plan.  Know what skills are required.  Where skills lack, outsource or create a separate plan to address, practice and hone those skills before the build.

I don't think Eddie cares at this point if anyone is ripping him off, and if anything, probably likes the idea he's influenced people.

I highly recommend before painting, though that's a nice thing to think about, you nail down what kind of pickups you want, then what kind of switching, then what kind of pots, then what kind of bridge, then what kind of tuners you want.

First off, great user name/avatar combo.

Second off, Alex makes good points

Third off, maybe consider buying a cheap body to practice on b4 goin' #all-out with the Big W. get like a GFS body or something off the 'Verb

Fourth off, Did u know the original name of Twix was "Diet Snickers"?

TBurst Std said:
Before ordering the body, decide on the color.
Finishing a body is the most resource/ability and time investment of any part of your build.
If at all possible, order it finished to your desired outcome.
Asking about tuners and jack holes etc is about grade 1 on building. Finishing your own guitar is like 10+x more difficult.

Don’t be discouraged, but understand what you want to end up with at the end. Be able to detail it and why.  Then create the plan.  Know what skills are required.  Where skills lack, outsource or create a separate plan to address, practice and hone those skills before the build.

+1 on that. Research and practice are key. Each time you do something you get better at it. Knowing what to do and how to is a large part in that. ..... :icon_thumright:

rick2 said:
I don't think Eddie cares at this point if anyone is ripping him off, and if anything, probably likes the idea he's influenced people.

Pssst..... Eddie is dead....

... his estate might have a thing to say however....

Mayfly said:
rick2 said:

Some High Priced Lawyers there I rekin. I see your point............ :headbang:

rick2 said:

I highly recommend before painting, though that's a nice thing to think about, you nail down what kind of pickups you want, then what kind of switching, then what kind of pots, then what kind of bridge, then what kind of tuners you want.
You’re probably right about him not caring…
I mostly know what hardware I want, but the color of the body influences the color of the hardware as well.

BroccoliRob said:

Third off, maybe consider buying a cheap body to practice on b4 goin' #all-out with the Big W. get like a GFS body or something off the 'Verb

I actually still have my first electric guitar that I bought from a cousin. It has no branding or serial numbers so I have no clue where she got it, but it’s perfect for taking apart and putting back together.
Btw, Twix slaps.

Mayfly said:
rick2 said:

Yeah Wolfgang might show up at my house

Orange Tortex said:
BroccoliRob said:

I actually still have my first electric guitar that I bought from a cousin. It has no branding or serial numbers so I have no clue where she got it, but it’s perfect for taking apart and putting back together.
Btw, Twix slaps.

yo, slapping is a transitive verb, meaning it takes a direct object. what or whom is Twix slapping, exactly? ???

also what i meant was that you should get a *unpainted* body so u can practice doing a diy finish

BroccoliRob said:
Orange Tortex said:
BroccoliRob said:

Btw, Twix slaps.

yo, slapping is a transitive verb, meaning it takes a direct object. what or whom is Twix slapping, exactly? ???

also what i meant was that you should get a *unpainted* body so u can practice doing a diy finish
That’s a good idea, but do you think I could also practice on a piece of lumber? I have plenty of random wood laying around at home.
And the word “slaps” is slang for “really good”. Normally used to describe music, it can apply to anything. Take a look:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slaps

Orange Tortex said:
BroccoliRob said:
Orange Tortex said:
BroccoliRob said:

Btw, Twix slaps.

That’s a good idea, but do you think I could also practice on a piece of lumber? I have plenty of random wood laying around at home.
And the word “slaps” is slang for “really good”. Normally used to describe music, it can apply to anything. Take a look:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slaps

Any kind of wood will get you used to laying paint on wood. If You could use another piece of Alder it would be ideal, but it's not required........... :headbang:

Back