Hot Rod Deluxe ?

1jimbo

Am I the ONLY one who loves the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp ? Ive had mine for about 7 years now and had only one small problem with it. To me, it sounds great, I love the tone.

I have one, it has a good clean tone, the reverb is nice.  The overdrive is middle of the road.  I built my own amp and was able to mess with the components to adjust the overdrive and output stages.  It sounds great.  Like a hot rodded 80's Marshall.  It would be impossible for Fender to compete with something like that, but a lot of things in the Hotrod amp could have been changed for a small amount of cost.  The switching died in mine, but that just means I have another project to play with.  Because of the switching problem I found the micro sized relays it uses for channel switching.  Cool little things that I will probably use in my next amp build.  I am going to try THD Yellow Jackets in the Hotrod amp with EI EL84's somewhere down the road to see how that effects the sound.  But till then, I have some switching problems to track down, and maybe a new master volume mod.  Overall it is a good amp for the price.
Patrick

Good amp (IMO).  A guitarist I play with uses it as his main go-to.  That said - you might check out the following site for DIY or finished amps:

http://www.ceriatone.com

i've had mine for about 8 years or so, no problems at all and I love it!  I only use the clean channel with a few pedals, and it sounds great. 

"I am going to try THD Yellow Jackets in the Hotrod amp with EI EL84's somewhere down the road to see how that effects the sound."

I've done that with my Blues Deluxe which shares a very similar circuit setup; sounds good with EL84s/tube adapters, but the tone goes more "Marshally" than "Fenderish" when run flat out.

Mines a 30th Anniverary Made in USA bought in 96 i think, was one of the 1st into Australia. Has a fantastic clean tone and the drive and more drive channels have their place in some of the harder blues/rock tunes i play. I had never used any effects but for the past 3 months i have been using an M I Audio boost and buff set about 1 o'clock which really makes the Amp sing. The amp has had the valves upgraded and replaced only recently and one of the input  jacks, OEM are plastic crap. The reverb is as good as any.

:icon_thumright:

Back