Home studio / practice rig

red king said:
The second purpose would be to record for the purpose of song writing, so I'd want recording software, drum programs, a way to simulate bass, a way to record guitar and a way to record a vocal.

My initial thoughts are: 

1. Small mixer
2. Amp modeler / USB interface
3. Recording software
4. Decent headphones & microphone

...do I stick with a PC platform and Windows compatible programs, or should I be getting a MAC?

Hi there,

I would recommend Toontracks EZ Drummer software. Am using it now and am blown away by it. You get to use multi-outs, and can treat each component (kick, snare, toms etc) separately to give it a more realistic sound. Am also using a mackie 1202 VLZ3 pro mixer, and Sonar 4. As for cans, do try out the Sony 7506. I heard the Studio Projects C1 mic is pretty good for its price as well.  I used to record through a POD XT Live! but have switched to an SM57 and a head/ 4 x 12 cabinet. when i had the pod xt live, it was real easy to record. plug and play. bass, i would recommend getting a real bass nonetheless. The freq are different compared to the low-E string on a guitar.

I have been on a PC platform since i started. Windows XP SP2, Echo MIA MIDI PCI Soundcard. works great, not a problem anywhere. cheers

Actually willyk is a committed lefty and so that couldn't be his guitar. But it does look hot!

Hey OP, if you're still reading, guitar center sent me junk mail today saying the toneport ux2 is on sale for 139 online. That's a great deal on a very versatile product.

ACTUALLY (assumes the"dont go there girlfriend" pose  :icon_tongue:), that guitar is a right-handed strat that willyk practiced tung oil finish on (i love haing insider knowledge of his secret collection ahhahahaha). and it looks the tits, an awesome build (or were you talkin bout the girl, looking hot 'n' all?  :icon_thumright:.)

or i could be wrong, and it's a totally different guitar, and i will then look like a complete douche-bag.

:hello2:

oh yeah, and BUY THE TONEPORT!!!!!!!

I think the POD is an irreplaceable tool for songwriting and practicing.  I have a Roland VS2400CD and I nearly hate it.  Its a very cumbersome unit.  i wanted something i could take to a gig and record stuff with and you can do that, but thats about it.  very limited editing, i should have went with something computer based.  my zoom rhythm track 234 is a pretty good drum machine for what it is.  its easy to use and its quick to lay down drum parts loop them and create song effortlessly.

Hey guys, just got my Toneport UX2 via UPS today....will report relevant findings soon!

Back