Holy *(obscenity) *

Wana_make_a_guitar

Apart from it being oven temperature hot here in Aus (Its about 115 F now), it's windy and there are hundreds of bush fires in the states of N.S.W and Vic. and my dad has been called to a fire on a ridge which is quite large. If I stand on the back deck of my house I can't see the sky, it's just pale brown and I bet when it gets darker if the fire on the ridge isn't under control, i'll be able to see the glow.

All the news channels have got coverage of many fires. It's a bit scary because some family friends are around some of those fires  :sad1:

And it's supposed to be hotter tomorrow!

Wow, that's scary. I have never lived in a place with wild fires like that. We get ice storms and such, and those do a helluva lot of damage, but they don't -spread-.

This happens in California, and it never is fun.  Depending on how the rains are, the wild plants grow more or less and become fuel.  We often get firefighters shipped in from surrounding states to help out.  One of the large problems is when the winds kick up (in the northern part of the state out of the north.)  They are hard and dry causing large problems.  I hope that the firefighters can gain control soon, that is always a cause for concern.
Patrick

Aww man, that sucks!!!  I hope they get it under control ASAP.  Same thing happened where I live and it was a living hell for a good week because of all the ash in the air. 

Keep us posted dude!

Yes, this is a horrible catastrophy there. Hope it ends right away and order is restored quickly as possible!

I just read on cnn.com that the death toll is up to 96 and they're expecting to find more.  Apparently they're finding people in their cars that got overtaken by smoke/fire and some who just never left their homes.

Woah, that's a lot of people killed.  Are there no mandatory evacuations there, or is it just that the fire is in a spot that is bottlenecking somewhere and trapping people?

There's a girl on another message board who's mother lives there.  There are mandatory evacuations, but people don't always listen until it is too late.  That happened here in Texas to people on Bolivar Peninsula during Ike.  They waited to long and the storm surge took out the only exit.

This girl's mother sent some pictures and at five o'clock in the afternoon (the day should be long there right now if I'm not mistaken) the sky was dark, but you could see the glow of the fires.

Back