hipshot trilogy

nathan a

Wondering if any of you have ever tried this thing..

33_large.jpg

For those who don't know: "The Trilogy provides you with instant, smooth, and presise retuning of each string to three player-preset notes by means of specifically designed cam levers. Each string is independent of adjacent strings. (Tuning ranges of the 6th and 5th strings are approximately an octave; the 4th and 3rd strings are over a fifth; the 2nd string is approximately a fourth; and the 1st string is over a minor third.)"

Seems like a very cool concept; I'm anxious to try it. Expensive at $238, and ugly, but I use a lot of alternate tunings and this could be damn cool, in that light. Just need to come up with a build to use it on...

I know nothing about it, but if you try it will you let us know?  I like that it has individual string height adjustment.  I know most people would not need so many individual string adjustments. But it would be cool to be able to drop all strings a half step, and also drop-D.

I wonder how the set-up and intonation will react to the changes, I guess minimal.  Hell I let a guy play a guitar in a show all the saddles were in a straight line  ie,,,intonation not set, it sounded great and he didn't notice at all,

That is a spendy bridge, hope you get some response here, I am curious too....

They really are ugly aren't they, I'm almost afraid to try one.

From the website, intonation wasn't too different from a hardtail strat. String changes seem like they'd be a bitch though.

Looking through the warmoth.com gallery, Gregg's got a VW with this thing.

Yes, he used to got... he can tell about it some words, I believe...

But I'm that kind of guy:
I've born in 1984, so to me, the things shouln't only be good, they should looks good too... Some people older than I don't have too much problem like I have, but my generation is like this... we got visual appeal needs
I believe the companies shall look to this, someones can loose market for this 'issue'... Everybody says good things about Hipshot, but sometimes they have that problem of some of the 60's companies: good products but ugly

No, I agree. There's got to be a way to take this concept and go someplace with it. Something with a more traditional look; something less bulky. There has to be a way.

A lot of pro steel guitarists set up a slide guitar with one of these so they can play their parts while standing up and jumping around. I've thought about it pretty hard, because I like to have open strings ringing on the things I write. However, I've also spent a lot of time with the other guitarist in my band working out ways to cover Stones and CS&N open-tuning songs using two standard-tuned guitars in conjunction, so it just depends on your musical needs I guess. They sure do look bad - you'd almost have to hate the guitar you put one on.... :evil4:

bpmorton777 said:
dosnt Gregg have that thing on his wolfgang?

Brian

Yep, used it a lot. The saddles are kind of flimsy and I couldn't decide if this had a negative affect on the sustain. It is just a tad tempermental and in the end it was faster for me just to switch guitars than to chance being out of tune a tad.

Gregg Stewart said:
Yep, used it a lot. The saddles are kind of flimsy and I couldn't decide if this had a negative affect on the sustain. It is just a tad tempermental and in the end it was faster for me just to switch guitars than to chance being out of tune a tad.

Well that's not encouraging... Perhaps it'd be worth a shot, just accepting that I might need to tinker with it.

nathan a said:
No, I agree. There's got to be a way to take this concept and go someplace with it. Something with a more traditional look; something less bulky. There has to be a way.

heres my ider,  make a string through of some sort, rout out the back of the body, and put the levers in the route, that way they are invisible and still accessible. and mount the bridge like a six screw strat,  just put the spring cavity on the other side of where the block would be and shorten it.
and top rout it just big enough to slide the saddles through.

know what i'm sayin?

i want a career in this stuff so bad. i think i'll do some accounting for warmoth, if they'll accept me, i'll learn how to use quick books next year in accounting II, I'm one of the best students in my current class. i don't have an ego, i just speak the truth.

Back