Hipshot countour tremolo problem

Mandalie

I had a body routed for the American standard strat route. The hipshot bridge was supposed to be a drop in replacement.... but it is not... idk what the heck is wrong here but the bridge does not rock... I’m thinking maybe the route isn’t big enough...

I can’t even figure out how it’s supposed to go on to even tell what’s wrong but something doesn’t seem right. Are they supposed
To drop in and slide
Forward onto the posts? Cuz this doesn’t have enough room to slide forward. I’m thinking the pocket itself is to small... I really did not want to have to do sanding on a 300$ guitar body that I could mess up

I guess I’m going to ask hipshot for an installation and set up guide... it’s to much of a pain trying to figure out what’s wrong. But if someone could tell me if you are supposed to drop them in the rout and slide
Them up to the posts that would help a bunch. I can’t do that cuz the posts are in the way when I drop it in

I used a Hipshot American Flat Plate trem on my Strat, also routed for American Standard trem. As I recall there was some interference between the sustain block of the trem and the top face of the body. The face veneer extended into the rout enough to keep the trem from rocking properly. I believe the problem was at the rear of the top route. I fixed it by using a straight bit in a Dremel with a router vase, and a board as a guide stop. Only needed about .125" trimmed off.

Something to check....

You seem to have a couple different threads, roughly about the same thing, but discussing 2 different subjects.  In my head, I sort of combined them.  First let’s make sure the base plate works with the studs and their placement.  Remove the block and trial fit the baseplate to the studs.

Does it fit?
Report back

Mandalie said:
I had a body routed for the American standard strat route. The hipshot bridge was supposed to be a drop in replacement.... but it is not... idk what the heck is wrong here but the bridge does not rock... I’m thinking maybe the route isn’t big enough...

You are correct. You will need to remove about .125 of material from the back edge of the rout. The Am. Std. rout is not quite big enough for the trem block and  the nut that secures the trem arm.

I've called the hipshot people about specs and installation, and they've always been real nice.  Before you call be as informed as you can with measurements and pictures.  Once they understand it'll take them two seconds for them to tell you what to do.

One thing about building guitars from off the the shelf parts, there's always some adjustment, but it's all doable.

Mandalie said:
Thanks for the help guys. I have it figured out now.

Great, now how about providing details of what you have figured out as it might help someone in the future.

I would be interested in your solution as well.  I just ordered a soloist body for use with the Hipshot Contour Trem, and they advised that it is not a simple drop-in replacement for a Fender American Standard.  Maybe Fender's spec for routing is a bit different.  I ended up sending Warmoth my bridge for a custom rout per their recommendation.  It did add quite a bit to the cost ($45 for the custom routing, and $20 shipping).

I use Hipshots on all my non-Floyd guitars - Warmoth and my lone Am Std.  I used a dremmel with a medium grit barrel and literally ‘free-handed’ the trem routes on every guitar. Needed to be opened just about 1/8” along the rear of the trem cavity and around the arm side. (Contour and flat-plate style) Slow and steady wins this race. My ‘modified’ opening finished relatively clean (I’d give it an 8.5/10) but it is entirely covered by the base plate of the trem. And the Hipshot with a graph-tech nut and staggered height locking Tuners holds tune as well as my Floyd equipped guitar.

Well for one thing it just doesn’t install very well without the string
Tension. This is my
First floating bridge so I didn’t know what to expect.but I’m still not sure about if the route is big enough to fully press down on the whammy bar as I can’t set it up without strings. I think it will work if I only do small tremolos with it.

Also I had to have the stud screws raised up a little bit to be able to put the bridge in. So once it gets to the middle of the pivots I just screw it back down... idk if that’s right

Back