High E string weird noise (Sample Included)

nikosss.b

Hi all,

I posted a while back asking a question about a strange high pitch noise on my high E string. I still haven't figured it out. The noise happens all over the neck on the high E string (all frets). It's especially high when I pick right behind the middle pickup. You will notice in the 2nd part of the recording, I pick while moving the pick back and forth, the noise would decrease. I also pick on the B string to show that there's no similar noise on other strings.
I would appreciate any help possible. Some people suggested swapping / changing the saddles. I have a Wilkinson Trem, Strings are brand new and it has nothing to do with the string type (I tried all string types). It's a 24 fret strat HSS warmoth build.

Cheers!

Attachments

• sample.mp3
    782 KB
ALWAYS start with the string, because it's the cheapest part of the guitar.

I mentioned that I swapped strings many times and it has nothing to do with the strings themselves...

Well let’s work through root cause Analysis. 
It is something within the speaking length of the string most likely.
That narrows us down to nut, fret, pickup, saddle.
As it happens with fretted notes, we can most likely rule out nut.
As it happens on a number of frets, we can rule out most of the frets. 

I only listened on my phone, but it sounds like a muted dissonance

Curious, are you using pole magnet pickups (ala Strat)?  If so, for grins
And giggles drop the pups all the way down and see if it goes away (I have heard stratitus sound like this before).

Next swap the saddle and see if it continues on that string. 

If both previous tests prove negative, look to you higher positioned frets. 

Thanks Mark. That was very helpful. I am using pole magnet pickups indeed. I've done what you're suggesting and it didn't work. I will swap the saddles cz I think that's the only remaining piece of the puzzle. If that doesn't work, do you think it has something to do with the higher frets causing the noise?

I would look to that.  You could have a 21st or so fret sitting a touch proud. 
If you have a feeler gauge check some gaps

I don't hear a problem but imy iPad mini speakers are no bigger than a speck.  That said, if it really does bother you try cranking your truss rod a 1/8th, than another 1/8th until you reach a full turn. If it persists it's something else.

Sounds to me like a metal pick. It's especially noticeable on unwound strings, and usually just on the attack. What you hear is the very high note of the the string being artificially fretted past the neck by the pick. Once the pick is off the string a millisecond or two later, the normally fretted note sounds. I got that about 100 years ago when I went through a Brian May phase, picking with a sixpence coin (Didn't last long - I sounded about as much like Brian May as my Siamese cat when she was in heat  :icon_biggrin:).

Before you change your saddles, I'd suggest trying to clean up the slot where the string sits. It's hard to hear in your clip but I've had an issue like you describe, a slight sympathetic buzzing / dissonance on the high e on all frets. I suspected it was a small burr right where the string exits the saddle, so I bought some of this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034G67WC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Sanding_and_Polishing/Sandpaper_and_Finishing_Papers/Mitchell_Abrasive_Cord.html

Get the smallest size (0.015"). You can basically "floss" the slot where the string goes to clean up any burrs. It worked wonders for me. And it's cheaper than new saddles, so I think it's worth a try first.

Also it would help us to diagnose the issue if we could hear it with a clean tone, as the distortion kind of obscures things. I wonder if that's why many are having a hard time hearing it. I can't really hear it in the audio clip at all.

Cagey said:
I got that about 100 years ago when I went through a Brian May phase, picking with a sixpence coin (Didn't last long - I sounded about as much like Brian May as my Siamese cat when she was in heat  :icon_biggrin:).

So using a Peso won't help me sound like Billy Gibbons?

Cagey said:
Sounds to me like a metal pick. It's especially noticeable on unwound strings, and usually just on the attack. What you hear is the very high note of the the string being artificially fretted past the neck by the pick. Once the pick is off the string a millisecond or two later, the normally fretted note sounds. I got that about 100 years ago when I went through a Brian May phase, picking with a sixpence coin (Didn't last long - I sounded about as much like Brian May as my Siamese cat when she was in heat  :icon_biggrin:).

Well I'm using a Jazz III pick  :icon_scratch: haha I wouldn't wanna pick with a coin  :icon_tongue:

davegardner0 said:
Before you change your saddles, I'd suggest trying to clean up the slot where the string sits. It's hard to hear in your clip but I've had an issue like you describe, a slight sympathetic buzzing / dissonance on the high e on all frets. I suspected it was a small burr right where the string exits the saddle, so I bought some of this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034G67WC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Sanding_and_Polishing/Sandpaper_and_Finishing_Papers/Mitchell_Abrasive_Cord.html

Get the smallest size (0.015"). You can basically "floss" the slot where the string goes to clean up any burrs. It worked wonders for me. And it's cheaper than new saddles, so I think it's worth a try first.

Also it would help us to diagnose the issue if we could hear it with a clean tone, as the distortion kind of obscures things. I wonder if that's why many are having a hard time hearing it. I can't really hear it in the audio clip at all.

Thanks! I will check this out. Unfortunately, I already bought the saddles.. Will see if I end up returning them and just cleaning my current ones... Actually the noise is very much less noticeable without distortion... I will try to replicate with a clean tone..

Besides doing a set-up and raising the strings, have you tried playing thru different amplifiers, or letting others play the guitar in a different environment?  At least that way you can rule out your amp and wolf tones.

Back