HH with a 5 way switch

JaySwear

my parts from stewmac have finally gotten here, and i'm ready to tackle my project. i've got an HH strat (the neck pickup is actually a p90, but it's got 2 rows of pole pieces like a humbucker). i'm starting to think i should have ordered a gibson-style 3 way switch instead of a blade switch. i can't seem to find a wiring diagram that gives me what i'm looking for. i'm new to wiring, so if i've missed anything or there's something i should see i'd really appreciate you bringing it to my attention  :icon_biggrin:

anyway, here's what i'd like to do.

3808754246_96c4044e77.jpg

i feel like this is best for me, i'd get a single coil sound out of my humbucker at the bridge, a good true single coil sound for the p90, and 3 great combinations for the pickups. i've also only got a volume, no tone knob. finding a diagram for just one volume is a little difficult. like i said, any help is appreciated!

thanks again,
Jay

EDIT: this is the 5 way i've ordered.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/1/Megaswitches.html

EDIT 2: this was on the instruction page of the link i posted.

2 humbuckers
Point # Wire assignment
1 empty
2 neck pickup hot wire
3 output to volume pot
4 ground to volume pot
5 neck pickup coil tap
6 bridge pickup coil tap
7 bridge pickup hot wire

my only issue is i don't have a coil tap at all. what would positions 5 and 6 end up being for me?

i've never been a big fan of 2 humbuckers at once. i feel like it's just too much happening at the same time. i never end up using that position.

Quote :

"i feel like this is best for me, i'd get a single coil sound out of my humbucker at the bridge, a good true single coil sound for the p90, and 3 great combinations for the pickups. i've also only got a volume, no tone knob. finding a diagram for just one volume is a little difficult. like i said, any help is appreciated!"

I am not too clear as to what you mean by "3 great combinations for the pickups".  The StewMac switching layout is for 2 splitable humbucker.

Since your neck is a P90 (presumably unsplitable) and a bridge humbucker, a simple way to go about it is use a Tele 3-way switch and a push-pull volume pot to split the humbucker.

You will get the option of

1. The neck P90 running by itself,
2. In combination with the bridge humbucker,
3. In combination with the bridge pickup slit into a single coil.
4. The bridge pickup running by itself as a single coil and
5. The bridge pickup running by itself as a humbucker.

Short version: wrong switch. P90s don't have two coils so you can't coil tap. Therefore that switch won't work. Besides it's PCB.

Long version: Decide what 5 pickup options you want. I'll see if I can't draw something up using the http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Super_Switch.html which can actually do nearly anything.

p20493b-811929deecfec5a2ea8b1870fe8f8aef.jpg

one of these, so i'm still looking for an HH wiring scheme. i'm thining of actually going with a 3 way blade switch, though. still undecided, but i'd still love to go with a 5. i'm not experienced with wiring at all, though, so i was wondering; would a 3 way switch be easier for me? or should i still shoot for a 5?

Here ya go buddy http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v__5wss

thanks guys! awesome. dangerous, that page has been bookmarked  :icon_biggrin:  and that picture has been saved, warmothtules. looks like i should be getting to work on this project in the next week or so...

I thought you said it was a P90? Looks like a p90-shaped humucker to me. Look there are a million ways to wire it up, you just have to decide what you want and then people can help you get it.

dimarzio virtual p90. p90 tone (-ish) with humbucker hum canceling convenience (mostly). kind of most of the best of both. i don't think it'll give me a humbucker tone with high gain, or a p90 tone on cleans, but most of each. should be interesting to try. i can't wait.

JaySwear said:
thanks guys! awesome. dangerous, that page has been bookmarked  :icon_biggrin:  and that picture has been saved, warmothtules. looks like i should be getting to work on this project in the next week or so...
:icon_thumright:

Back