Hey Line6man!

tfarny

Master Member
http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDetails.aspx?Dealer=a686b570-f20e-4184-a74e-2a23ebc3a6dd&Item=1918411
Save those pennies!

Whew! I was afraid you had found something incriminating about me. :toothy12:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M2yib3ecjo&feature=related

Dammit i want that bass! I want it I want I want it! :toothy12: (Hysterical fits of crying and childish temper tantrums for the next 2 hours)

But seriously, that would be very cool to own a bass that Jaco had owned. The historical significance of the bass to me makes it worth the price.
I don't think i am worthy though :sad:

BTW,
Jaco's BOD was found recently:
http://www.bassplayer.com/article/jacos-1962-fender/mar-08/34267

There was a whole thread on it over on TalkBass.
Honestly, as a few members pointed out, The spirit of the BOD died when Jaco destroyed it. It was totally rebuilt, and aside from the fact that it belonged to Jaco, its just another bass.
There was a whole thing with the Pastorius family taking the man who bought the bass to court over the rights to ownership.
Who really knows whether the bass was really stolen or not, because Jaco could have easily left it behind (He was known to leave his bass sitting in the park while he played basketball) or sold it for alcohol or something. As much as i would love to own the actual BOD, out of my tremendous respect for the man, i would just give the bass to the family.

Here is the BOD on the left, next to the Fender custom shop replica on the right.
Web_jacosbass-45.jpg

With all due respect to 'Da Man' (and he IS 'Da Man') - after his passing......it's just wood.  His hands made the magic on it and anything else they touched.  It's interesting to note that on his DVD he could play another's bass, and it sounded (of course) unlike the owner - it sounded like Jaco  :guitaristgif:

SlingBass said:
With all due respect to 'Da Man' (and he IS 'Da Man') - after his passing......it's just wood.  His hands made the magic on it and anything else they touched.  It's interesting to note that on his DVD he could play another's bass, and it sounded (of course) unlike the owner - it sounded like Jaco   :guitaristgif:

Good point, but I don't think that anyone who buys the bass has the intention of "being" Jaco...
Like Billy Sheehan said in an interview, YOU control the bass, the bass doesn't control you. The bass is merely a tool. (I think Victor Wooten said the same thing too)
To own Jaco's bass will not make you sound or play like he did, but it certainly is a treasure to behold, given the man's talent and history.
If i bought that bass, i would do so for the historical significance, not the interest of sounding exactly like Jaco and adding another player to my collection

line6man said:
If i bought that bass, i would do so for the historical significance, not the interest of sounding exactly like Jaco and adding another player to my collection

IF I were to of had the means to buy the bass......*I* would keep and offer it for display in the condition purchased - shattered, just like the later part of his life. More interesting (to me) that way, as it represents the emotional/mental collapse of a genius. With 20 years of sobriety - I find the tragedy of his final days numbing. To quote Dr. Tyrell: "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long. And you have burned so very very brightly, Roy. Look at you. You're the prodigal son. You're quite a prize!" Sadly, true 
cry.gif

Problems, Max???    :laughing7:

You're OK - I just really need to use my spellchecker before posting 
icon_redface.gif

SlingBass said:
line6man said:

IF I were to of had the means to buy the bass......*I* would keep and offer it for display in the condition purchased - shattered, just like the later part of his life. More interesting (to me) that way, as it represents the emotional/mental collapse of a genius. With 20 years of sobriety - I find the tragedy of his final days numbing. To quote Dr. Tyrell: "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long. And you have burned so very very brightly, Roy. Look at you. You're the prodigal son. You're quite a prize!" Sadly, true   
cry.gif

+1
That's a much better way of wording it than my "historical significance"

I am tempted to say that the bass should be hung on the wall for display, but in the spirit of Jaco, it NEEDS to be played.
I was watching a thing on Stradivarius violins the other week. Some of these violinists were very upset by the fact that the museums that own the Strads are just hanging them up by the (headstock? scroll?) for display. The wood ossifies and the instrument loses its "vibe". A Strad needs to be played!

Jaco lived for his music. I believe that Jaco would have wanted the instruments he played to continue to do the job they did for him... to work as a means to express his soul.
Like i said earlier, an instrument is merely a tool. A device that allows you to convey what you feel as music.
Jaco's "soul" will never shine thru his basses again, but shouldn't someones soul shine thru?

I sincerely hope that the bass continues to be played rather than "displayed".

Actually, what i am saying sounds sort of conflicted...

If i could own the bass:

I would be doing so for (the reasons that Slingbass explained...)
I would not try to "be" Jaco, but rather, i would try to remember him. What the basses he played meant to him, what he did with them, and what symbolism has come about from them.

But at the same time, i would want the bass to be played, and used to express my own musical soul, rather than being hung on the wall to stare at.
The bass, IMO, should be used to inspire whoever owns it to be their own player, and play with their own unique style.

In other words, by remembering how brightly Jaco shined, the bass could be used to inspire you to shine brightly yourself.

This is very difficult to put into words what i am trying to say...

SlingBass said:
line6man said:

cry.gif

And to take this a step further...

This bass as you were saying, clearly shows Jaco's downfall, but i see (heard) Jaco's genius in every note he played as well.
I guess this bass could be used to either show Jaco, the man, and his declining mental and physical state, or Jaco, the creative genius.
By extension, the bass could be used to show what Jaco gave to the world, or, what the world took from Jaco, depending on your point of view.

I have, and have read the BP Mag with the story about the bass. The fellow that bought and had the bass restored did so for reasons of his own. Who knows what would have been best - restore and display it OR display it as Jaco left it? How did Jaco feel about the bass? What could have been his feeling for music (in general) towards the end?  We'll never know...

To his fans - it's a token of both his enormous talent, and the magic instrument from which his music flowed in better days. Conversely - in it's original condition (as said) it could have represented the horrors of his decline from alcohol addiction - a warning to all, and served as a statement to the frailty of his genius.  All I know for certain is I'm going to pay tribute by listening tonight to what has and will continue to inspire for many, many years.

Looking at this picture of the neckplate of the bass on Gothic City Guitars,

p4_u5dclctry_so.jpg

does anybody else get the uneasy feeling that the finish wear could have happened with the plate removed (and therefore probably also without the neck)?
I'm absolutely not claiming that it's a fake, but 45 grand for a bass whose identity is proven by a 'B' scribbled on the top in pencil?

Oh my gosh, your right... of course the original could have been reliced a bit by unnatural means as well...

Back